THREE

the remainder of the school day passed agonizingly slow for nina. each teacher dragged on with the same "the right college is out there for you!" lecture and it's likely each east high senior could recite it from memory.

as the final bell rang, nina scurried to pack up her things. but with her abundance of school supplies laid out for each class she was often the last student out of class. today was no different.

"nina, could i speak with you?" mrs.V, her english teacher, asked.

"of course! what seems to be the problem" nina chimed as she stopped in front of her desk.

"there's no problem at all, dear. it's just—i have a student, richard bowen, who needs a bit of extra help with his creative writing and i was hoping you'd be so kind to lend him a hand."

the girls face lit up with glee at the mention of her crush's name. she greedily nodded along with mrs.v's every word and reassured her that she would take very good care of the boy.

after bidding her now satisfied teacher goodbye, nina was off to find richard.

and coincidentally, she knew exactly where to find him.

<3

scurrying up the practice field stands, nina watched as the school's football team practice came to close and released the players in one big wave.

as the sweaty players piled up on the sidelines, the observing girl rose from her seat and began her search. her eyes moving from one sweaty face to the next. to her distaste, nina spotted the boy she was looking for making out with his pep squad girlfriend.

what a drag.

rolling her eyes before pushing her way through the crowd of smelly teenage boys nina obnoxiously cleared her throat as she approached the couple.

"hi! i'm nina salazar-roberts and i've been assigned as your tutor." the girl said with a polite smile.

richard quickly dropped hands away from the cheerleader and dusted them off before he reached to shake his new tutor's hand as he said "oh—right! i've been lacking in the grammar department since 1st grade so i hope you're prepared."

nina giggled at his comment before swiftly grabbing a notepad and pen out of her backpack, scribbling something down as she started "well richard-"

"ricky" he corrected.

"ricky.. here's my number. i'll be in touch to schedule our first session." she said before tugging the paper off its binds and handing it to him.

"see you around!" nina said before turning on her heel while dropping the notepad back into her backpack and exchanging it for cherry-red lipstick.