FIVE

<3

<3

as the 7th period bell signaled the end of the school day, nina zipped out her class, booking it to the parking lot and into her car. she hummed along to her taylor swift playlist as she drove to the local coffee shop. as she turned into the parking lot, she was suprised to see ricky pulling his backpack out his car.

he's excited to see me.

he's excited
because of me

nina rolled down her window and slowed in front of the boy yelling "you're here early, richard," causing ricky to cringe at the sound of his full name.

"early is just on time, brainiac. also, never use richard again."

nina grinned widely at the boys reply, gliding into the nearest parking spot as the boy waited for her on the sidewalk.

"are you ready?" nina asked.

"not in the slightest, brainiac. but that's why you're here to help. after you," ricky said, holding open the door for the girl.

<3

the quiet conversation and humming of the coffee grinders filling the coffee shop's air comes is interrupted by the sudden thud of a english textbook being slammed shut, followed by ricky's annoyed groan.

a smile crept onto nina's face a she watched the boy animatedly complain about his struggles.

"are you done complaining, richa-"

"ricky" the boy cut her off before continuing, "you got any nicknames nina," he asked, allowing her full name to finally leave his mouth, successfully sending a shiver down her spine.

"it's just nina" the girl replied shortly, gulping down the rest of her now cooled coffee as an attempt to compose herself.

"we have to change that"

"change my name? ricky, legally, you can't do that," nina replied.

"no, you goof. i'm giving you a nickname"

nina didn't particularly like being called names such as "goof." she usually found it childish and distasteful, but coming from ricky's mouth

goof was her new favorite word

"okay, let's refocus our attention back on english and away from nicknames" nina said, attempting (and failing) to change the subject matter.

"im going to have a nickname for you by the end of the night... ninabella?"

the girl grimaced at the boy's attempt at a pet name, causing him to shake his head and continue "it was worth a try."

<3

one hour and another round of fresh coffee later, the sun was beginning to set and the pair was engulfed in their books. well, nina was invested in her book while ricky was invested in brainstorming a nickname for the girl seated across from him.

"you know i couldn't pronounce my A's when i was younger" the boy blurted out, snapping nina out of her trance.

"pardon?"

"i couldn't pronounce the letter a. so if i were to say your name i would probably say something like nino or—nini. nini... i would say nini, that's it!" ricky said as a lightbulb practically glowed above his head.

"i'm not following" the girl said bluntly.

"that's your new name... nini."

"you know, this is was real sweet of you ricky, but i quite like my name to be frank" nina, or nini, said as she tried her best to refrain from bursting the boy's giddiness.

"fine, you can be nina to everyone else, but i'll call you nini"the boy finalized.

"but—"

"it's settled, nini."