TWENTY-EIGHT: TUNNELS

("The Gate" III)

MAX SPED DOWN THE STREETS OF HAWKINS, INDIANA. Penny constantly checked back between Max and Steve. She was currently looking down at Steve who laid on her lap. She played with his hair. Yes, it was weird, but it was just for comfort.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she greeted with a smile as he opened his eyes.

"Nancy?" Steve spoke looking up at Mike. Penny quietly chuckled at this. Steve groaned and started to rub his eyes.

"No, don't touch it," Dustin informed, kindly pulling Steve's hand away from his eyes. Steve moved his head toward Dustin. "Hey buddy... " He shushed Steve who was about to speak. "It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight."

"Yeah. You won in our eyes," Penny uttered with a smile.

"You're okay," Dustin reassured the groaning boy. "Penny and I are right here."

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas told Max, reading off a map.

"What's going on? Penny what's going on?" Steve asked groggily.

Max looked behind her causing Margaret to scold her. "Eyes on the road!"

"Oh, my God!" Steve exclaimed. "Oh."

"Everything's fine. Don't look at her. She's not there," Penny soothed quietly rubbing his arm.

"Just relax, she's driven before," Dustin reassured.

"Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike remarked.

"That counts," Lucas defended.

"It counts," Penny agreed, glancing at Mike for a brief second.

"Oh, my God," Steve stressed. Penny rubbed his arm slowly trying to calm the boy down.

"They were gonna leave you behind," Dustin revealed.

"Oh, my God."

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin informed the older teen.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?" Steve started to freak out.

"Calm down. Calm—Slow down!" Penny yelled at Max as she sped up. "We're gonna crash," she thought.

"Oh, my God. No! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down," Steve commanded the redhead.

"I told you he'd freak out," Mike snapped, bringing up what he said to Dustin and Penny after Max agreed to let Steve go.

"Stop the car!" Steve shouted.

"She's not gonna stop. Just hold onto my hand," Penny whispered. Steve grabbed her hand and began squeezing it tightly. "Ow!"

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max shouted.