A love-ly swim

"Hey, let's go swimming!" Bucky pitched to the group. He wanted to do as much as he could after having energy.

"Oh, Bucky, we have a mission to do. Wanda and Vision are doing something. I mean Sam is not coming but I doubt you want to go with him." Steve said with a sorry look on his face.

"Oh ok." Bucky actually didn't mind this because he could ask Sam. Even though Steve thought they weren't friends. They were and they both knew that.

Bucky waited for everyone to leave and then found Sam.

"Hey Sam, everyone is out on a mission, I wanted to go swimming, did you want to come?" Bucky said getting slightly shy.

"Yeah, sounds fun. Got nothing better to do."

"Ok I'll meet you downstairs." Bucky went to his room and got some clothes and other stuff he wanted to bring.

They got in the car and sat awkwardly. Bucky was driving.

"Should we put some music on?" Sam asked breaking the awkward silence.
"Sure."
"What do you want to listen to?"
"I'm not bothered."
Sam put on a 80's mix. Sam hummed quietly to the music while the drive there.
Bucky finally spoke.

"I actually haven't swam in so long. I haven't had the energy to try. I- I actually haven't don't anything fun, something I enjoy in way too long." Bucky found it so easy to speak to Sam. He could so easily open up to him. He did worry he would open up about the wrong things...

"I'm glad you are now. If you ever want to do something fun, let me know cause I'll join you." Sam said smiling at Bucky's progress. Sam had some sadness hit his heart when Bucky said that. He couldn't even imagine how much he was going through.

They arrived at a lake. It was a big lake, that you could swim in but was always empty.

"I didn't want to go anywhere where there was people... so here we are."

"It's really nice."

Sam turned around to get his stuff from the car and changed into his swimming shorts.

Bucky changed into his, keeping his t shirt on. He still felt uncomfortable having it on show.

Sam saw him still wearing his t shirt and knew why. He walked up to him and touched the rim of the shirt.

"Bucky. I don't care. You are still amazing. Arm or not." Bucky pulled his shirt off while they were still standing close and staring into each other's eyes. They were getting lost in each other's eyes. This seemed to be quite easy for both of them.

Bucky coughed "anyways, let's get in the water."

Sam hopped on the water, and Bucky sat by the edge.

"Aren't you getting in?"

"I'm scared. I haven't swam as me in so long."
Sam looked down at the 'as me' part.

"Just come to the edge and get in slowly."

Bucky sat by the edge. Sam grabbed his hands and once again they got lost in each other's eyes. There faces right next to each other. Bucky's eyes flickered from Sam's eyes to his lips, not going unnoticed by Sam.

Sam took advantage of him staring and pulled him in the water. Bucky laughed as his splashed into the water. Sam laughed at Bucky's happiness.

"See, it's fine." Bucky smiled at him.

They swam around the lake. They found some rocks around by the lake and took a break and sat on them.

"This is fun." Bucky said, feeling an overwhelming feeling of joy.

Sam nodded in agreement. They sat smiling at each other. They seemed to keep going into these staring moments all day. It was weird.

Bucky was starting to figure out his feelings for Sam. He had admitted defeat, in realising he really liked Sam.

Sam had started to realise the butterflies in his stomach when he saw Bucky smile, or when he saw Bucky enter a room. Sam had started to look back on everything and how maybe this whole time he actually may have feelings for Bucky.

They were both spiralling, figuring out their feelings but both feeling the feeling of something that won't be return.

That's what was stoping both of them.

Bucky was so scared of being rejected and pushed away. He didn't want to like Sam like that because he knew Sam didn't like him and he couldn't deal with that. He also didn't want to lose Sam.

Sam couldn't deal with following after Bucky, pining after him when Bucky didn't feel remotely the same way.

They were both being held back by that feeling.

Bucky pushed the thoughts down, he was trying to have a good day.

"Hey, let's go have some lunch. I brought some food."

Sam nodded and forgot about what he was thinking about.

They swam back and set up a picnic blanket.

They sat and had lunch and talked about anything and everything.

"Ok, maybe it's just me but I feel like Steve doesn't want to be our friend anymore. He used to invite us to missions all the time, but seems to literally never do that. I feel left out. It's weird. Maybe I'm overthinking." Sam had been thinking about this for a while, and the fact it happened today made him think about it too.

"Yes, I've noticed it too. I guess he is moving on from us. I know he has other friends, but he didn't need to drop us. He can have two friend groups. Also, he acts as if we aren't friends with Nat. Me and Nat are really close, and you two are too and he just keeps her to himself and won't include us in there conversations. I mean Nat even asks us to join but Steve is always saying stuff like 'oh I don't think they would want to' like oh my god. How do you know what we want!" Bucky ranted out.

"Right! Like we could all be friends together but Steve doesn't want that to happen."

"I know. Maybe when Steve and Nat do something together we should join. See what he does."

"Good idea."

"God it feels good to rant." Sam laughed out.

"I know feels great." Bucky smiled at him.

"I mean you are the perfect person to rant to. We think the same things. And plus I can't really tell Steve this so."

"Yeah, you are the best listener."

"Thanks." Sam said smiled shyly.

"Should we go back to the compound?" Sam asked.

"I want to stay here for a while."

Bucky lied down, Sam following later. They laid next to each other. They were right next to each other. Shoulders squished together.

Sam brushed his pinkie against Bucky's by accident. Sam moved his hand away quickly. Bucky didn't move away. Instead, he reached and slowly grabbed Sam's pinkie, and then he grabbed his hands and interlocked his fingers with his.

They both didn't look at each other. But smiled to themselves. Bucky was surprised in himself in how much courage he had.

They got back to the compound, but their happy peace was interrupted by shouting and people running past.

"BRUCE, NAT'S BEEN SHOT!" Thor shouted.