Chapter XIV: A Scandal in the British Empire Act 3 (Part II)

The silence that covers the library was put to an end when the heels of shoes thudded across the floor as the person who owns it had been relieved of the misty environment outside, letting himself be bathed with the sunlight that brightens up the establishment. Gazing at Albert, Mycroft sighs. 

"I thought... that you are smarter than this." Mycroft uttered straight to the point, getting a tad bit disappointed with what he had discovered that was not visible through his stoic expression. 

A blank gaze meeting Albert's emerald ones as he stood right in front of the seated noble, stopping with a distance in between them. Albert's waiting had finally come to an end upon his new companion's arrival. Despite not having any greetings, he didn't seem to mind what Mycroft had stated.

 Albert just smiled in response to it as his silence was taken by Mycroft as a cue to continue. "You recovered the document and liquidated Adler." 

Mycroft swiftly lets his gaze focus to a certain woman standing beside another that seems fairly familiar to him, but he paid Y/N not much attention as she's not his objective. Nervousness is evident with Irene's mannerism and facial expression as Y/N has an arm wrapped around her as a means of comforting. 

"I'm expecting that you'll have an explanation." Mycroft requested, turning his attention back to Albert, who's already holding an envelope containing his objective. 

Noticing that Irene seemed to be temporarily relieved from having the pressure of Mycroft's gaze, Y/N continues with her silent comfort while listening intently at the ongoing conversation.

Albert stated his fascination with the contents before continuing. "The French Revolution was set up as a social experiment. And how the mastermind behind it, Maximilien Robespierre, was the one who wrote it and was an agent working for Britain."

Eyeing the document that he held in his hands, Albert then resumes staring at Mycroft, gleaming emerald eyes meeting Mycroft's dark bluish ones before finally revealing what the documents are all about. "Yes, it's the tactic that the British Empire used in their effort to bring about the French Revolution." 

Albert informed Mycroft of the threat the document heavily holds, glancing down at the envelope for a moment before he continues to inform the danger it might produce. "If these papers are going to be known to the public, our allied nations would have a good reason to declare war against Britain." 

Mycroft momentarily closes his eyes, reopening them once he had stated near the end of his sentence. "My only interest is this whether or not you're an enemy of Britain."

Awaiting his answer caused Mycroft to be alert with either possibility. 

Albert gazes back again at him, maintaining it as he raises a finger near his lips that formed into a smile and the action a gesture for him to keep quiet about something as he requests. "I only have a single demand and that would be your silence." 

Hearing this, Mycroft was finally able to express visibly what he's feeling, frowning because of it as both Irene and Y/N remained their gazes at Albert. 

They wait for him to continue as it arrive soon after. "From the time of my youth, I have already started exposing the corruption and misdeeds of the nobility to try destroying the class system." 

Albert halted with his explanation, giving enough time for Mycroft to take a guess as the rumored government himself inquires. "In other terms, you're the 'Lord of Crime' everyone seems to be talking about?"