Prologue

As I flipped through the pages near the end of the book, I came across a page with the corner folded. The crease was flat as if it had been folded for quite some time. "Is this where you left off?" I asked. She didn't turn to face me, but instead continued to dig in her closet for whatever reason unknown to me and possibly even classified to her. "No, I always finish the books I read." I read the page with the crease, searching for beautiful words that might inspire such a beautiful girl. But there was none.

The ruffling of the clothing and junk in her closet stopped, all that I heard was the quiet pitter-patter of her bare feet on the wooden floor as she sauntered over to my side. The soft aura of her vanilla scented lotion filled my nose, easing my stress. "If you're looking for something special in there I suggest you stop." She looked around the room, for something. Anything.

"Why do you fold the page if there's nothing special to reread?" I asked, watching her brown eyes shift from one place to another in her room.
"Before I start reading, I fold the page where I want to end the book, where I want to stop reading. It's my choice."

That was a sign. And I missed it. She ended her life too soon just as she had ended her book too soon. I could have saved her. I should have saved her. But she never opened up and I was just too afraid.