Fifty Nine

"I'm in love with you too, Nick." Karl mumbled under his breath before leaning down to turn off the water, stepping out into the empty bathroom, wishing he could be greeted by dream Sapnap.

Karl crawled into his bed behind Sapnap, still wrapped in his towel. He gently laid an arm over Sapnap, nuzzling his face between his shoulder blades.

"Karl, you're soaking wet, what are you doing?" Sapnap asked, turning his head slightly over his shoulder and away from his phone.

"Sorry." Karl murmured.

Karl would do anything to return to his dream, to feel the comfort from hearing Sapnap admit his feelings. Sapnap rolled over to face him, lifting a hand to push back Karl's hair, pulling Karl out of his attempt at sleep.

"Let's at least get some clothes on you." Sapnap whispered. He tilted Karl's chin up to make him look at him. Karl refused, keeping his eyeline away from Sapnap's. When Karl remained unmoved, Sapnap slowly sat up, reaching over the bed to grab a random shirt from the floor. "Put this on." He said tenderly, already pulling the same oversized sleep shirt around Karl's head.

Karl lifted himself slightly, allowing Sapnap to place the shirt around him. The fabric felt rough against his skin, nothing like the smooth material of the ruby shirt he had worn earlier. This cotton had years of wearing and washing abuse. Once the shirt was completely around Karl, Sapnap laid back down, pulling Karl onto his chest.

"What can I do?" Sapnap asked, slowly rubbing circles on Karl's back.

He hesitated before answering, thinking of what he even wanted- needed, in that moment.

"Tell me we're going to be okay." Karl whispered. Sapnap's hand paused on his back.

"Why wouldn't we be okay?" Sapnap asked, his inflection concerned.

"I feel like we're going to fall apart. Like if things don't work out that we won't be able to be friends anymore. I don't know how I would go back to a life without knowing you." Karl admitted.

"I'm-" Sapnap started, his words failing him as he tried to process the weighted conversation Karl placed before him.

"Nick, you're my favorite person. You're my favorite place. You're home." Karl continued, nervously drawing small shapes on Sapnap's chest with his index finger. He could feel Sapnap staring at him, but decided to keep his head down anyway.

"Did I do something that made you think I don't view you the same way?" Sapnap asked after a moment, saying the first thing that came to mind. Karl's finger paused on Sapnap's chest.

"Am I?" Karl asked, slowly lifting his head. "Those things to you?" He continued.

"Of course you are." Sapnap assured. Karl reached up and placed a hand on Sapnap's face, feeling the warmth from his flushed cheek. Karl laid his head back down on Sapnap's chest, listening to his rapid heartbeat and somewhat staggered breathing.

"You're making it really hard to wait until tomorrow night for the surprise." Sapnap admitted, returning his hand to Karl's back.

"I don't like surprises, why not do it now?" Karl asked. The curiosity that rested in the back of his mind now taking the reigns.

"I waited six days for mine, you can wait one." Sapnap let out a light laugh.

"But tomorrow is our last full day here, shouldn't we be spending it with Dream and George?" Karl inquired, doing his best to encourage Sapnap to cave in and tell him now.

"They know what's going on, they're fine." Sapnap countered. "You'll be spending the day with them, I have to get a few things in order. I'll see you when it's time." He continued. Karl had his head down but could still hear the smile in his voice.