Chapter 19

Cabinet's P.O.V

One horrendous thump after another shook the ground, and I could feel a burning sensation race across my body. My legs were tired from running, but I wasn't safe yet.

The usually clear sky had been painted in a thick smog that reflected the embers from below. Buildings crumbled around me, and I nearly got crushed by falling debris one too many times. Army men and women yelled for help, for they were not as fortunate as I. Their cries were desperate and filled with pain that was jutted out of every wail.

Some people chose to help, most didn't.

I felt shards of glass tear through my uniform and stick to my skin. My mind was laced with panic, as I dashed to the two remaining doors in my vision.

When I saw an obstacle in my way, I lashed out and shoved it aside. That poor injured officer stumbled and hit the ground with a shrill cry, while foul words left his mouth.

He was soon silenced by another bang.

I thrust open the entrance in front of me and launched myself inside. My innards felt vile, as if they were trying to get out of me. Cough after cough left my mouth, while a metallic-tasting liquid dribbled down my cheek.

My hand grabbed at the wall for some sort of support. However, my legs had already begun to crumple under me. I took a few shaky breaths and began to drag myself to my office. Others in the building rushed to my aid.

"Here, let me help!" One of the girls pleaded, while she hooked one of her arms under mine. "C'mon, help her!"

The rest of the individuals rushed ahead to open doors. I shook my head, for I wasn't going that way, "No, to my office."

The people at either of my sides glanced at one another, before they called out the new directions to the others ahead. Soon, we were slowly making our way through the halls.

Meanwhile the glass on my back pressed even deeper into me.

"You can go now. Get to safety." I announced, when we finally arrived at the intact room. I shook them off of me and my feet weakly slid me over to my desk.

"And just leave you here in danger, absolutely not!" The first one protested, which made the second nod his head.

I groaned, they didn't understand..."Go. That's an order. I'll be fine."

The two, once again, glanced at each other and followed my command. The door shut behind them, as they both left.

I stood there for a couple of seconds, just basking in the moment. I didn't know what to think of everything. My mind was filled with random thoughts, some coherent, others not so much. Most questioned the reality of the situation, while others were angered and filled to the brim with resentment.

My palms pressed even deeper into the hard surface, thus I could feel a crease starting to develop along my skin. My vision felt blurry, disorienting, and useless. My most powerful weapon, my remaining eye, was failing me. Observation was a skill of the past, and now was not then.

"Fucking hell..." I lifted one of my hands off of the table and cradled my head with it. A migraine had invaded my skull as soon as the first firing squadrint was sent here. I had lost count of how many had happened since then, all I could remember was that they had gotten worse.

My knees straightened under me and I pushed myself into a standing position. I had to take great care with each of my steps, because there was a clutter of papers, pens, and other materials thrown about. A few stray books laid over the floor in a randomized way; covers were thrown open, a few pages were torn, and even some were close to being entirely separated.