CHAPTER 31

Sometimes I sit quietly and wonder why I'm not in a mental asylum.
Then I take a good look around at everyone and realise—maybe I am.
*****

EVA

Exiting my apartment complex, I walk towards the car where Bentley was already putting my suitcase inside the trunk. He then strides around the car and opens the door for me. I slid inside and put the seat belt on. 

Daniel nods his head briefly at me before going back to shouting at someone on the phone. I really feel bad for the person, who has to go through this, early in the morning. Bentley pulls off and I turn towards Daniel. Our eyes meet and I gesture his to calm down.

“I am leaving for New York and when I return back I want it perfectly ready, no excuses. If you, for any stupid reason, are not able to complete it then believe me I won’t hesitate to end your career for good.” He spits out the last words and hangs up the call.

I sigh.

Bentley gives me a look of sympathy through the real view mirror and I smile a little. 

“Any important reason why we have to go to New York?” Daniel glances at me before looking back at his phone. 

His fingers punch a few words into the phone before he speaks, “I have a meeting with a business associate and there are other things to be taken care off”

I nod my head and look out of the tinted window as we went down the highway.

Daniel was quiet busy the entire week after our family dinner, we didn’t meet at all. I didn’t get the chance to ask him the reason why he has to go to New York. He just sent me a message saying I cannot go out alone until he is back and appointed two men to protect me.

I had decided that I won’t go with him. 

Even though our last meeting ended well, I had to convince myself that this is all only for one year and I shouldn’t get too attached. 

But yesterday I called him. I told him that I will go. I don’t know why, I just thought it’s for the best. Our parents know that we are going together and I don’t want them to think anything else. 

And I would rather accompany him than be locked in the house until he comes.

Also I love to travel. I never really got the chance. The only two places I have ever been are my parents’ house in Los Angeles and now Seattle if you don't consider the trips I went for college purpose. And now if I am getting a chance, why not just use it?

My eyes go back to Daniel and I wonder how he can use phone in a car. I have this problem since childhood. If I ever read or look into a mobile in a moving car I start feeling dizzy and sick. And it can be very miserable. 

Daniel’s phone rings breaking through my thoughts and he groans staring at the screen annoyed. After a few rings, he reluctantly answers the call.

“WHY ARE YOU NOT LETTING ME COME?” I hear Aaron’s voice burst through the phone—and let me tell you the phone is not on speaker. He practically yelled. 

Daniel just rolls his eyes. “This is the twenty-ninth time you are asking me the same fucking question.” Aaron then says something which I don’t hear and Daniel mutters, “Because your ass is needed here more”

I hear some sounds of whining from the other side and I press my lips together to muffle my laughs at Daniel’s expressions. He mutters some profanities under his breath before biting out, “Just don’t make me drive back and put a bullet into your head”