CHAPTER 44

It's okay to be a complete bitch when people deserve it!

*****

EVA

Around us, the city slowly changed. Fewer people walking on the sidewalk, lush green fields with cattle grazing at a distance. The sun was just rising above the horizon, flooding the landscape with blood-red light, enhancing the beauty as it immersed into the foliage around. The air got fresher as we drove out of the city, towards the large establishment at the far end.

But as we went further, the surroundings turned a lot less reviving, the air a bit contaminated. I rolled up the window, gazing through the glass at the enormous plants. The smoke in the air grew and so did the clanging of metals.

Finally, we entered into the street with large, flat buildings lined on both the sides. There were high walls around them, some with iron spikes on top which made me sit upright involuntarily. The elephantine entrance gate was opened by two security guards, their eyes bulging out as if they weren't previously briefed about our advent.

Taking in my location, intriguingly, I asked, "You didn't inform them, why?"

"Mrs. Knight..." Came the cold voice of my husband, as I heard him shut his laptop and put it aside. "When you need your workers to take you seriously and work efficiently in your absence, they must not have an idea about your whereabouts."

"Hmm....Noted."

Once the car was parked, Daniel asked me to stay put and got out off the car. Exchanging a few words with the guards who had their heads lowered, he made sure they understood every syllable falling out of his mouth. Then strode around to open the door for me.

To his utter annoyance, I had already helped myself out of the convertible, busy gawking at the huge buildings.

"What did I tell you ab--"

Much to my relief, his next words were shortly cut by Bentley as he approached us from where he had disappeared to a few seconds ago. Unaware that he just saved me from a nice small talk, he instantly started speaking to his boss despite the look directed his way.

I felt Daniel tense beside me and turned around, peeling my eyes off the huge board carved with the letters of my temporary surname. Blaming myself for not paying enough attention to what Bentley said, I frowned looking between them.

Yet I didn't get an answer.

Daniel's eyes raked over the area callously before they halted at the building on our right side. Without another word, he marched further towards what I assumed was the main unit. Glancing at each other, Bentley and I followed him quietly through the large entrance.