chapter 40

Bethany's POV

We stepped off the elevator and I watched as he took a few steps in front of me to open the door to the roof for me. His lanky body held the door with a smile, following closely behind as I made my way towards a couch with a coffee table in front of it. Harry sat down after me, setting the bag infront of us with two water bottles he had grabbed from the staff break room on our way up here.

There were very few buildings as tall as the Smith Inc. building in the LA area, so it was very quiet. Everyone seemed to be gone for the day seeing as the sun was setting and it was a Sunday night. I kicked my heels off and leaned back against the couch we had decided to share. It was all very calming and relaxing.

Being alone with him was nice. This time we werent splashing food all over each other, or being pounded by paps. We were simply letting the silence sink in. I knew it was only quiet like this because he was avoiding why he came here, but I wasn't going to complain. It felt nice sitting here with him when I was so worried I had scared him off.

We were sitting back, enjoying our now very cold chinese food. His legs were stretched out on the coffee table in front of us while my legs dangled over his. I was facing him, going inbetween watching the sun setting and his face as he intook his food. He was squinting towards the sun, obviously trying to find it in the mess of clouds covering the sky. It was a very pretty sunset, full of colors like pinks and oranges. You could just see the colors fading behind the few buildings that were taller than the one we were sitting on.

"Very pretty." He comments shyly and I nodded my head lightly.

"It is. Isn't it?"

"M'not talkin' bout the sunset."

I turn to face him, a slight blush coming up on my cheeks. It was little compliments like that, that really got to me. I knew he didn't think they meant much, but they did. He wasn't used to relationships, but he seemed to be doing just fine at this one. He was so unconfident about the things he should be, and so over confident about things that he shouldn't necessarily brag about. It was all very tough to get used to, but they were just some of the things I was getting used to and accepting.

"Sorry I was on the phone so long." I tell him, but he just lets out a small chuckle.

"Don't worry. Felt good to get a little nap like that."

"Still... I must have been on the phone for an hour. That's terrible."

"Don't." He says simply. "That couch was extremely comfortable."

I laughed at that. I had never really sat on the damn thing to know if it were comfortable or not. It was one of the newer purchases I got when I redecorated my office after my parents death. My dad's taste was a little too... masculine for my liking.

It was getting colder out and I found myself curling up closer and closer to him as time went on. He had taken his worn out brown boots off and put his feet back on the table. I had curled into a ball next to him, wiggling my toes so that they would stay warm under his butt. My knees were tucked into my chest as I laid my head on his shoulder. It was terribly cold out, just a bit cool, but when Harry had wrapped his arms around me, I felt nothing but warmth.

The Christmas lights had automatically turned on and Harry was still staring out into space. There wasn't much to look at. All the stars had disappeared into the night due to light pollution and the moon was barely even noticeable.

He would rub my arm with his fingers every now and then. Even though it was making me feel very hot on the inside, the goosebumps he left on my skin told him otherwise. He was planting subtle kisses into my hair, sometimes leaving his lips there longer than expected... not that I minded.