Chapter 23

AN: PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND VOTE. IT MEANS A LOT!

Bethany's POV

After the Harry fiasco yesterday, I decided to go solo tonight to the award ceremony. It was for celebrities around the country who had done some magical acts of charity throughout the year. I was suppose to present an award for the woman who had the biggest and most effective act of kindness. I thought it was absolute bullshit that we were honoring celebrities who already had enough fame, just because they were doing what any human who had a heart should.

I had originally invited him to be my date, but I felt it was better we had space. Last night was a bit of a mess. Yes, I had forgiven him, but I still felt betrayed. I knew in reality he wasn't with me at that point, and he hadn't told me he liked me till three days later, but he told me he hadn't been with anyone since the kiss. That's the part that sucked. He had been, and it took him being with another woman to realize his feelings for me.

Tonight we needed to be alone. We had spent the past three nights together, so a night apart could be a good thing. I needed space, time to think and a little bit of me time. I used the fact that I was presenting an award on live TV as an excuse to get my nails done and a body massage.

I had gotten ready at my penthouse by myself. A hair and make up team had showed up, but left when they were done. My make up was natural, just a bit of a bronze look. My hair was tied tightly back in a pony tale. I thought I looked amazing, and I was sure to write their numbers down so I could use them as future references.

I had picked out a red dress. Well, my stylist had picked out a red dress. She had asked if I wanted a red or black dress, but I thought I should go with a statement... I sure as hell went with a statement. The dress was incredibly sexy. The front of it plunged down to my belly button and there was a slit in the dress that ran all the way up my leg. It was provocative, but classy. It was me.

I was currently backstage, pacing up and down the hallway. It was a commercial break and I was due to walk onstage in twenty minutes. I was suppose to meet Leighton Meester because she was presenting the award with me, but she had to use the restroom. She was on her way here, and I was a nervous wreck.

"Ms. Smith?" I hear someone say lightly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh yes?" I'm met with the one and only, Leighton Meester, and holy shit pictures do not do her justice.

She was absolutely gorgeous. I felt my mouth drop open as I took her in. She looked like a damn princess. The way her white dress covered her body was completely unfair. I found myself wishing I was her. I found myself wishing I could look the way she did. She laughed at my obvious expression, snapping me from thoughts again.

"Hi." Her smile is so warm and inviting, it's not wonder she was so loved by so many people.

"Hi. I'm Bethany." I introduce myself, earning a playful scoff.

"As if I didn't already know!"

"What do you mean?" I sounded a bit offended, not really meaning to. I guess I just did.

"Oh, I didn't mean any rudeness in that. I'm sorry." She quickly apologizes before continuing. "I just meant that I'd be stupid not to know who you are. You're probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." She sounded so genuine, so real.

It was odd hearing words like that from a woman. Most of the time I'd just hear crude remarks behind my back. It was due to the wealth woman would get from their husbands that would turn them into such snarky bitches. Leighton was different. She was actually a nice person to me.

"I swear I think you need to check the mirror more often. You're absolutely gorgeous. I love your dress!" I exclaim at the end, hoping my point will come across stronger. She blushes a bit, nodding her head in my direction.