Part 8

Honestly, physical education was never my muse. Although I aced the PAJSK test I never liked joining the class. The only reason I did join the class was because I had to. If I didn't, my reputation as a good student would definitely break.

Anyways, PE class.

I'm so grateful that my menstrual cycle has ended. I heard the coach is going to make us fall flat on the ground. It shouldn't be a problem today. Imagine crouching down with your legs splitted apart. Oh, that would be the worst nightmare. I would've suffered a lot if I was still on my period.

"Glad it's over." "What's over?" Ikha's temple skin wrinkled. "My menstrual cycle." I know, I was grinning like a fool the whole time.

How lucky I felt that very day. As it ended it was as if everything was finally back to normal.

I snapped back to reality when the coach shrieked, "stretching time!"

After the stretching session lead by Enisha, the coach instructed us to do the basics of gymnastics. "First of all, we need to test your flexibility. Who will volunteer to do the splits?"

"Me!" What else's new? Obviously it'd be Azalea.

The whole class was in awe as she stretched her legs wide and sat on the ground. Ugh, look at her boastful face. She even waved like she was walking on red carpet. It was so annoying.

"I can't do that!"

"There's no way I can touch the ground like her."

"Coach, this is unfair!"

Yeah, totally! I agreed with everyone's cries. Azalea started ballet when she was a toddler, what about me who knew nothing about being an athlete!

Fine, I admit. I was amazed and my jaw dropped seeing her on the floor. Azalea was incredible. She did ballet since she was six. It was a must for her to learn it especially since her mother was the nation's gymnastics athlete. She even went to New Zealand to compete for the gold medal during Olympics. I also heard from Ikha that her sister, Azreea joined the nation's figure skating since she was 13. I guess the athlete trait runs in their blood.

Surprisingly, Azalea never went to the nationals for any competition. It seemed as if she was forced into ballet only to satisfy her mother's wish. Although she had performed ballet with her team from the academy at numerous events, she never applied to participate in any ballet competitions. Rumours said she didn't like ballet at all and only did it to please her stingy mother.

Her mother looked like she had high expectations on her, maybe that was the reason she never participated in any competitions regarding ballet.

"Okay.. everyone saw how Azalea did it.  Now it's your turn. Don't make a fuss and just get down! Stretch as much as you can!" The coach walked around to make sure everyone started to to do the splits.

I was warming up my body before stretching my legs when I set my eyes on a figure who looked timid at the corner of the gym.

Nabila? Her face was out of colour and looked like she could pass out any time.

I walked up to her and asked," are you okay? You can tell the teacher if you're not feeling well."

Out of the blue, she leaned closer towards my ear. Tapping my shoulder, she whispered.

"It's actually my first day of the month. It's so uncomfortable to do the splits when you wear layers of pants." Her face showed it all. "Let's tell coach." I took her hand and we went to have a word with the teacher.

She was feeling skeptical at first but her facial expression turned into worry when Nabila said she was on heavy flow that day. "It's fine, you can sit aside for today and watch your friends do it. Amber, you should go do it too."

"Yes, Coach!"

"Thank you, Amber. I wouldn't have the courage to speak up if you weren't there!"

Wow, for the first time ever someone told me they're grateful for having me beside. I felt my cheeks flushed. "Ah, it was nothing. Go rest."

I let out a sigh when I saw everyone doing the splits. Some were almost as flexible as Azalea, but none of their long legs had completely touched the ground. Should I give it a try? 'I may not be as flexible as Azalea, though I am pretty confident!'

My legs started to stretch as I went lower. It did hurt at first since I have never done it, I was getting the hand of it as I stretched further.

Oh, what was this hard thing?

IT'S THE GYM FLOOR!

"Wow, you're so flexible, Amber!"

I turned around to witness everyone clapping their hands. Even Azalea went eye-wide. Woah, everyone was paying attention to me. This must be the feeling Azalea experienced every time people looked her way. My heartbeat was so loud that I could hear it palpating as I tried to get that proud feeling off my chest. They were looking at me, everyone had their eyes on me! How could I not like this feeling?

My smile widened to my ear when I saw Ikha gestured a thumbs' up.

"You're doing unexpectedly good." Azalea confessed. At last, something worth praising about!

Even the coach praised me. Oh how blooming my heart could be!

"Amber! I saw you did the splits! You're amazing!" Nabila ran up to me and shrieked. I grinned in response. "I did pretty well, didn't I?"

The rest of the day was fine. Words got out and now the whole batch knew I could do the splits as good as Azalea. I wasn't expecting this since I didn't like attention given to me. Although I wasn't comfortable with Azalea who kept shooting daggers at me, it felt nice to listen to praises once in awhile. Should I tell Ummi and the twins later?

Screw that. As soon as I stepped into the living room, my eyes was set on Ummi and Abah, sitting on the sofa with expressions I couldn't read. They were at home together at 3 p.m. which was early for both of them. Was something going on? My mind was in a haze until I saw the white paper on the coffee table.