45: Thriving

"Ugh, you idiot, you're going to stomp the plants to death if you keep trampling over them like that!" Miku snapped, shoving Zorome away from the garden.

"What?! You're the one who squashed those mushrooms in the woods yesterday when we were fishing!" Zorome snapped in response to Miku. 

"They were probably poisonous anyway," Miku snapped, "I don't think we should bring back food unless we know for sure it's okay to eat."

"Whatever," Zorome grumbled, though he stepped aside and let Miku crouch down to tend to the garden. He wasn't mad at her or anything, it was just part of life now, bickering with her, and he supposed he wouldn't have it anyway...even if she was a huge pain in the ass! "So, um, when do you think the garden will be in full bloom or whatever?" He asked her, leaning down to inspect the garden at her side. 

The garden was located at the front of the boarding house not too far away from the treeline. It was big and whenever the plants were done growing there would be plenty for the squad to use in their meals for days to come! Zorome was glad they had found so many seeds stored away, and that part of the garden had been there before and had been tended to by their invisible caretakers daily. 

"Hmm...," Miku tipped her head to one side thoughtfully as she looked at the nearest sprout. "I'm not sure. Maybe I should ask Ikuno if I can borrow her books on gardening and plants." She glanced up at Zorome. "Wanna read it with me?" She asked him. 

At first, Zorome thought that would be too boring for him to want to do. However, he realized that there wasn't a lot for them to do in their free time anyway and that it would be an excuse to spend time with her, something that made him feel super happy for reasons he didn't totally understand that likely had to do with love.

"Sure," He said after a moment. "Sounds like it'd be useful, I guess."

"Very," Miku agreed. She stood up and dusted her skirt off a bit. "Eh, I think this is enough for today. The garden seems fine, watered, and we got rid of any weeds and roots that could lead to them. Ugh, weeds are so annoying!" She huffed.

Zorome nodded. For once he had to agree with the fiery girl. "Yeah, you can say that again. Anyway, what do you wanna do now?" He asked her. He was glad that he had gotten off his chores early so that he could help her garden, though he'd never admit it out loud to her due to his pride. 

"Hmm, maybe we should go check on Kokoro?" She suggested. "She's been really nauseous and throwing up a lot still but Ikuno says she's not sick. Kokoro thinks it has to do with her pregnancy." Her eyes gleamed with joy. "She thinks it means she's going to have her child for sure!"

Zorome grinned. The thought of having a baby around made him ecstatic and he was looking forward to playing with the kid and showing it the ropes. "Heck yeah, let's check on her!" He was practically bouncing on the heels of his feet at the prospect of the child being born someday. "Sounds good to me."

"You seem happy," Miku commented, giving him a sideways look. "What's up?"

The two of them began to head into the building together. "I'm just pretty damn excited that Kokoro and Mitsuru are having a child," He admitted to her. "I mean, I love little kids. They're pretty fun!"

"You are a little kid," Miku said teasingly, earning a swift glare from him. "At least, that's how you act most of the time. It's like having a baby in squad thirteen!" She giggled at his irritated face, which seemed to invoke some sort of pleasure in her. 

"Am not!" Zorome angrily flashed back at her. "You're the one who always throws tantrums like a toddler!"

The two of them bickered almost all the way up the stairs until they reached Kokoro and Mitsuru's room. 

"Hi!" Miku knocked on the door cheerfully. "Can we come in? Are you guys here?"

"Yes!" Kokoro's shy yet happy and friendly voice called from the other side. "Please come in!"

Miku opened the door and the two of them stepped into the room. Kokoro and Mitsuru's bed was back in the middle of the room now that nobody had to quarantine in it. The two were pulling apart, though to Zorome it looked like they had been far too close to each other for comfort. He'd never be caught dead in that position!

"What's up?" Zorome asked, leaning against the doorframe as he watched Miku approach her female friend. 

"Mitsuru and I were just talking," Kokoro said. She blushed and shot her partner an affectionate and overly-gushy look. "He's been taking very good care of me. The book says this is how things are supposed to be. I-I really think everything's going as planned!"

Mitsuru smiled warmly at the girl. "Me too. I'm glad you think I'm taking good care of you but I think it's the other way around. You're the one taking care of me still right now." A week had passed since Mitsuru had recovered but he was still a little bit weak even though the rest of them had all recovered fully by that point. 

"How are things going?" Kokoro asked, her attention now turning fully to Miku and Zorome. 

"Good! The garden seems to be doing super well and Zero Two says that there is still a lot of fish in the lake...thank goodness!" They had been worried they'd run out of fish. "Everything seems to be back to the way it was before we all got sick." 

"I'm glad," Mitsuru said warmly. "Everything seems fine. Even without the adults, we're thriving." 

Zorome felt a familiar pang of sadness at the word "adults" but that couldn't be helped. After all, he'd lived his whole life aspiring to be like them. To be one of them. Their betrayal still stung, though he would throw that dream away any day for squad thirteen...and for Miku.

"Yes," Kokoro replied in the same warm tone as Mitsuru. "We really are. I feel safe with you guys...all of you! I'm happy to be able to raise a child here."