Chapter 10

Warmth was comfort. There were few things Becky liked more than a fuzzy hoodie or curling up on a sofa with a thick blanket. Cuddling up with Seth was even better, because he seemed to radiate heat, plus he brought all the fringe benefits of deft hands and a soft mouth. The sunburn was a different type of heat and definitely not as enjoyable, but she couldn't say she minded the frequent and focussed application of aloe cream to her back. When she felt a gentle touch between her shoulder blades, she figured Seth was starting to rub the lotion onto her back again, but he kissed her instead. "Time to wake up," he whispered against her shoulder. "Breakfast is in half an hour and you'll break Joelle's heart if she doesn't get to see you today."

It took Becky a moment to remember where she was and who Joelle was, and while her brain was busy unravelling those mysteries, it forgot to remind her not to roll over onto her back. As soon as her burnt shoulders touched the sheets—which were lovely and smooth and soft otherwise—Becky flinched. "Ow. Fuck."

"Careful." Seth grabbed her hands and pulled her up until she was sitting, leaning against him. "You don't have to come along with me if you don't want to," he told her. "I know sunburns are rough."

Becky eased onto his lap and rested her head on his shoulder. "I said I would. I'll just need to find a really lightweight shirt. Maybe wear a bikini top instead of a bra so it's not so tight. I can always just say we're going to the beach after, right?"

Seth kissed her forehead. "I'm not going to hold you to that. You were... distracted at the time. And I know WWE isn't high on your list of places to visit."

"No, no, I'll go. I want to see if Hunter will try to get me taken off the premises. I haven't had a good mug shot with this hair yet," Becky quipped. "But I'll still need help with my back after I shower."

Seth lifted her up and scooted off the bed. "You'll need help in the shower too."

In the shower, Becky could feel Seth's nervousness like a second pulse. He was attentive as always, his hands always knowing the right place to be, but there was a sense of foreboding to his movements, as if he thought it might be the last time he would get to touch her. He left her hair for the time being—Joelle had practically begged to French braid it, and Galina had assured Becky that her daughter was actually good at it—but he patted her back dry gently and rubbed more aloe cream on. "Did The Authority have a healer when you were... here last?" Becky just stopped herself from saying when you were a member. It had been so long since she had seen Seth as the opposition or an enemy that it was easy to forget who he worked for.

"Yeah. You can always ask her if she can give you something. I think her name's Tamzin. Tasmin? Jasmine?" Seth looked a bit sheepish as he set the lotion aside. "I never really went to her. Always figured that anything I said to her went right back to Hunter, and if she was going to report injuries that would keep me out of the ring, then...."

"Gotcha. Well, if she tattles on me to Finn," Becky laughed, "I'm just going to get a lecture and I know how to deal with those." She picked out her softest bra and held it out to Seth. "I know this will feel like Opposite Day, but can you help me, please?"

Seth kissed her softly. "This should be illegal, but since you asked so nicely...." He stood waiting while Becky slid the straps up her arms and adjusted it as much as she could from the front. "So... which hook do I use?"

Becky did her best not to laugh. In fairness, he was far more used to taking bras off than putting them on. "The one closest to the end. It should be tighter than that," she admitted, "but it's already going to pinch. And yes, I'll be changing into a bikini top as soon as possible."

"Or we could stay in," Seth suggested, fastening the hooks she had pointed out and adjusting the bra band for her, "and you could just wear nothing...."