Chapter 14

Becky had heard the saying it's like herding cats, but when it came to being difficult, she was pretty sure werewolves were worse. Trying to get a pack leader to follow directions was possibly hardest of all, or perhaps that was just because the leader in this case was Finn and she suspected he was intentionally making himself unavailable because he didn't want to talk with Seth. Add in some patented Irish stubbornness and she was surprised she managed to pin him down at all—although it seemed like Drew had a good deal to do with that, considering that the big Scot had both hands on Finn's shoulders and was pressing down hard enough to make the smaller man grimace. "Nikki told me you've been looking for a certain pack leader," Drew said, grin showcasing his dimples to the utmost. Leaning down so he could be seen in the video chat as well, he thumped Finn's chest amicably. "Figured I'd give you a hand. He's been a bit cagey lately. For a moment there, I almost thought I was going to have to sit on his lap to keep him still."

Finn coughed raggedly, trying to catch his breath after Drew's chest thump. "It's called leading a pack, McIntyre. It keeps me busy. And since I don't have a second in command at the moment...." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Drew's hand ready to connect with his chest again, and Finn lurched to the side, almost falling out of his chair. "It was an observation, Drew, not a jab."

"Right." Straightening up, Drew patted Finn's shoulder with enough force to shake him from side to side. "Well, Becks, that's one pack leader delivered for you. Anything else I can do?"

Becky chuckled and shook her head. While Drew had been retrieving Finn, she had been able to talk to a few of other pack members, and she was glad that everyone seemed to be in good spirits. She was a bit surprised that Finn hadn't even started trials for a new second in command yet, and she wasn't sure how to take that. Maybe he didn't want her to feel like she was being replaced—or, on the other hand, maybe he felt sure that she was going to return to the fold and resume her duties. "I'm good for now, Drew. Thanks for your help."

"Anytime, lasskicker." Drew grinned again, one side of his mouth twitching up almost in a smirk. "The windows are locked," he added, "and I'll keep watch on the door so he doesn't try to sneak off."

Finn rolled his eyes. "I'm right here, Drew. I'm not going anywhere." Becky couldn't quite tell from the decor, but she thought he was in his trailer. A puff of steam drifted across the screen, so she could envision a cup of tea or coffee off to the side; he was clearly anticipating either a long chat or one that he would need distractions for in order to survive.

Becky waited until she heard a door shut before speaking again. "You promise you're not going anywhere?" Her voice came out softer than she intended and even across the distance—an ocean, several time zones, and a questionable connection—she could feel an awkward tension between them.

Finn's eyes flashed for a second before he reached for his cup. "I haven't been avoiding you, Rebecca. Not... not intentionally." He scratched at his beard for a moment and she realized it was fuller than he normally kept it. "It's just... this isn't only an adjustment for you. You understand that, right? It's hard for me too."

"I know. And I'm sorry." Becky took a deep breath. "Before we go any further, though... I would like Seth to sit in on part of this call, at least." When Finn stiffened up, she raised a finger in warning. "If I make a pack, there will be a place for him in it. Not necessarily second in command. Not even a rank, not right away. But the option for him to join will be there." With a sigh, she added, "I value his opinion, Finn. I know you think we're going too fast or whatever, but... you know me. You've seen what I'm like in a relationship. You know I don't usually trust someone so easily."

Finn nodded slowly. "I know. I don't necessarily like it—or him—but I know. I would still like a chance to talk to you alone for a while, if only to catch up. You're missed, Rebecca. You're missed dearly, and I'm not saying that to try pulling you back. I don't think you realized how loved you are here."