Chapter 5

Seth didn't think the full-moon run would be that bad. He had already met a lot of Becky's pack members at the last full moon, after all, and while he hadn't forged firm friendships with them, it was surprising what a familiar face could do. This gathering had more of a family feel, though, and family generally meant hi-jinks, gentle ribbing, and some people getting way too drunk. His only saving grace was that because Finn strictly forbade any type of recording devices in the running zones, he wouldn't have to worry about any faux pas being caught on camera.

Some said familiarity bred contempt. With Becky's pack, Seth was afraid it was making them bolder, especially the higher-ranking wolves. To put everyone's minds at ease, after Finn had performed the blood offering, he promptly cleaned the ceremonial blade, sheathed it, locked it in a box, and proceeded to lock the box in the trunk of his car. If nothing else, at least no one would be getting stabbed during this run. When he reached for Becky's hand so they could start their run together, Drew's massive chest blocked his way. "Come on, mate. Becks has to talk to Finn for a bit," Drew said, spinning Seth around with one hand. "Territory blather and all that. Nothing that would interest you. So come have a pre-run drink with me and Sheamus. Let's see how Americans hold up to the Celts."

Becky's eyebrows spiked up a bit when she saw Seth in Drew's looming shadow, but she forced herself to smile. "Don't worry. They'll behave themselves. They know I have plans for you later."

Sheamus just chuckled. "No shots below the waist. Got it."

"I suppose we should leave his mouth alone too, then," Drew added with a grin, propelling Seth towards the drink coolers. "Just so she has some options."

They were at a different location than Seth's first full-moon run in England, and the set-up was much more camping friendly. Rather than having to stash most of their things in cars or campers, here the wolves were free to spread out. Seth counted at least twenty coolers for drinks and almost twice that many for food. Clothes were strewn everywhere—over branches, on lawn chairs, simply on the ground—and he was reluctant to take off his shorts, but Drew and Sheamus were already naked, so it seemed like it would be rude if he stayed clothed. He turned back to wave at Becky and gesture to where he was leaving his shorts, but she and Finn were already walking away, deep in conversation. "Just put them anywhere, fella. We're not a bunch of thieves. Even if we were, we'd only take shit worth stealing, not a man's workout gear."

With a shrug, Seth kicked off his shorts and draped them over a low tree branch. If I can't find them again, he thought, it's not like I don't have other clothes here. Besides, after his frantic run to save Becky on the last full moon, most of the people present had already seen him naked anyway. Glancing down into the coolers Drew and Sheamus had propped open, Seth struggled to find a brand of beer he recognized. "Surprise me," he said at last, hoping he sounded appropriately casual.

Drew and Sheamus shared a grin before they both laughed, pointing back and forth between two coolers before Drew reached down and handed him a dark green can. "Come on. Let's go sit by the river," Sheamus said.

Seth remembered countless TV shows where a girl's older brothers would mercilessly question their sister's potential date about his history, his intentions with her, his plans for the future, and just give him a hard time in general. Drew and Sheamus might not have been Becky's blood relations, but he was quickly learning the bond of a pack could be even closer. "Lead the way," he said, popping the top of his beer. Even just a whiff was enough to make a lightweight drunk, and Seth wasn't a habitual drinker.

It didn't take them long to reach the river, and Sheamus cannon-balled into the water with a loud but still very human howl. When he resurfaced, he motioned to Drew to hand him his beer. "So what's the craic, fella? If Becky's asking permission to go elsewhere," Sheamus said, "that means she's got plans."