Chapter 16

We had been at the base for a week now, it was hot, it was dry and it was fucking depressing.

One good thing was that I still had Wi-Fi, it was patchy and slow but the majority of the time it would work. Since arriving in Iran the girls of Little Mix and a certain Ms Grande had kept me entertained. I had a group chat with Little mix and Ariana insisted on texting me everyday.

It was all purely platonic but it was nice to have some friendly distractions from the depression I felt myself slipping into after everything with Toni.

I missed her.

I missed hearing her voice.

I missed just even hearing about her day.

Most of all I missed knowing she was mine.

"Hey Corporal you've got mail" a new Private named Jason pulled me out of my thoughts and handed me a bunch of envelopes varying in colour.

I liked Private Jason he had just passed out of training, he was a kid only 18 he was enthusiastic and diplomatic and took instruction well, he would make a good soldier.

I looked down at the envelopes in my hand.

I hardly ever got mail.

Sometimes if I was away a long time Toni would send me some pictures and a goody box of snacks but this, this was quite a few letters.

On base we only got mail once a week it would collect at the main base before being brought out to us.

I took the elastic band off and looked closely at the envelopes there was 5 of them and I recognised the writing on each of them.

Toni's.

I took a deep breath and placed them on the bed, spread out in front of me

She wasn't letting it go

Did I want to read them?

Did I want to bin them?

I was conflicted.

"Hey Cheryl what you got there" it was Archie he walked in eating a snickers clearly he had got a goodie bag from Veronica.

I picked up the envelopes and waved them at him

"Toni... she sent them" I sounded mournful.

He stopped chewing "Oh"

"Yeah oh" my eyebrows raised.

"You going to read them?" he took a seat at the edge of my bunk.

I shrugged "I dunno man". I really didn't. What could they say that she hadn't already or what could change my mind

My phone beeped it was the Jesy from Little Mix messaging the group chat, I clicked to open it.

Jesy - Well Cheryl looks like Ms Grande put Toni in her place lol🙊

Jade - omg she was savage🙈

Perrie - I genuinely thought they would start fighting on the red carpet

Me - Oh God what happened

What the fuck happened now? Could things really get worse.

Leigh Anne - inserts link Watch this!!

I clicked on the link, it took me to some video from the red carpet from some recent award show I didn't take notice which one. I didn't really give a shit.