Unknown Truths

Seoul, Korea
Big Hit News Network

Taehyung arrived at the office a little after 2 pm. He attended a media launch for Hyundai's new SUV model after stopping by Yoongi's garage.

He goes to his work station, opens his phone and airdrops the launch notes and photos to his laptop. An hour later, he finishes his first draft and sends it to their sports editor, Jung Hoseok, for approval.

"Hey Tae, are you busy?"  Taehyung looks at his colleague and stared at his orange-colored hair.

"New hair color again, Jimin? I've been here for two months and I've seen you change hair color 4 times." Taehyung chuckled.

"I know, right? That's how indecisive I can get. Maybe one day I'll come in with multicolored hair. I don't know." Jimin giggled.

"Anyway, why were you asking if I was busy?"

"You wanna grab coffee and pastries at NamJin's?"

Taehyung froze and was trying to think of an excuse not to go there.

"Jimin, why can't we just grab coffee across the street? At least we don't have to walk all the way to NamJin's." Taehyung said, hoping Jimin would agree.

"Tae, it's just a 10-minute walk. Plus, love the banana cake at NamJin's! It's buy 1 take 1 today!" Jimin looked at Taehyung with puppy-dog eyes.

Taehyung sighed.

How do I tell him that I don't want to see Seokin hyung? Maybe I can just stay outside while he buys the stupid banana cake. Yeah, that could work.

"Okay.  But, can I just stay outside while you get it? I'm really not comfortable going inside." 

"What do you mean, Tae?" Jimin asked with furrowed brows.

"Kim Seokjin, the owner, is my brother." Taehyung  said.

"What?! What do you mean you're his brother?" Jimin asked as if he heard something incredulous.

"Just what I said. He's my brother."

"But, from what I know, Jin hyung only has one brother."

"Yeah. And, that's me."

Jimin stared at Taehyung for a long time.

"I don't understand. How can that be?"

It was Taehyung's turn to be confused with Jimin's reactions. Actually, he was getting a bit annoyed.

"What part of  him being my brother don't you understand?"

"Tae, Jin's brother is dead."

"Did he say that?!" Taehyung snapped, getting angry this time.

"He didn't just say it.  He showed me his grave when I saw him in the cemetery one time when I was visiting my grandmother.  But, it didn't have a name in it though."

"What was written on it?"

"My Taebear."

Taehyung's face suddenly went pale. He can't believe what he was hearing. His chest was tightening and he felt like the world just came crashing down on him. His eyes brimmed with tears.

"J-jimin, can you please b-bring me there?"

Jimin nodded.

Taehyung stood up, stashed his laptop in his bag and hurriedly left the office with Jimin.

***

Namjin's Cafe and Pastry Shop was jampacked that afternoon because of the promo on their banana cake.  It's really the most sought after food item in the shop's menu.