Brooklyn Bridge

I groan as my doorbell begins to ring uncontrollably followed by knocks. When I look up, I am naked on the couch. I also had drooled on the cushion from my deep sleep. The ringing however, never seemed to stop and I was forced to sit up.

"Just a second!" I moan, followed by a yawn. I definitely shouldn't have drank last night. Now I had to deal with a hangover and someone aggressively knocking on my door. I quickly go to my bedroom to retrieve some clothes and change into them, putting my long dark hair into a bun to get it out of my face.

When I finally reach the door, I open it. Much to my surprise, I see none other than my older sister Cami. "Oh, hey," I say, I was very confused as she goes in for a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean what am I doing here?"

"Auntie!" I hear a small squeaky voice, when I look down Brooklyn is coming towards me with her arms wide open. I grin as I reach down and pick her up for a big hug, ignoring my growing headache.

"There's my little Brooklyn Bridge!" I say as I cuddle her. She stood at four feet something with a mop of dark headed curls and brown eyes. When I put her back down, I turn to Cami. "Seriously, how'd you know where I live?"

"Beau, we talked last night," she says as she fixes her coat. "I told you I was in town for a couple of weeks for a few work related things and you offered to watch Brooklyn for me." I must've been very drunk because I don't remember a single thing.

So I lie. "Oh, yeah." I say. "When do you want me to watch her?" I say as I go towards the kitchen to find some Advil. When I find it, I take two and down some cold water.

"Well I figured now," she says. "I kind of have court to attend with a certain someone." She catches my eye, silently telling me she had court with her ex-husband, Brooklyn's dad. I nod in understanding and look towards Brooklyn who sat on the couch, a doll in her hand.

"Okay, for how long? Because I kind of have a busy day as well."

"Well, honey I'm not sure. This could go for hours. That's of course, if he decides to show up for once." She seemed stressed. To be honest, so was I but I was only stressed because I haven't finished this paper. I didn't have a vindictive ex-husband who wanted shared custody of our child who he never saw before and is only doing it to get money out of me.

"You know what? You're right, I'm sorry. I'll watch her for as long as you need me to, don't worry." I offer her a smile, despite the fact that I was dying because of this horrible headache. I know she couldn't go to our parents because they were out of town.

Cami's face lights up as she reaches for my hand and gives it a light squeeze. "Thank you so much, I promise the second I'm free I'll come get her." She then walks over to Brooklyn and gives her a hug and a kiss. "I'm going now, okay? I'll see you later tonight." She gives me one last smile and walks out.

I turn to Brooklyn and smile. "Would you like some breakfast? I can make us something—"

"Mom says you're a terrible cook." Brooklyn says, standing up from the couch and throwing her doll carelessly.

"You know, I would be offended if that wasn't true." I say with a laugh. "Let me get dressed and we can go have breakfast somewhere, does that sound good to you?"

"That sounds good." She nods and walks around the room. I go inside my bedroom and change quickly I to some jeans and a white button up. I fix my hair into a ponytail, add mascara to my eyelashes and brush my teeth. I finish by spritzing perfume and putting on my white shoes and walk towards the living room.

"Ready to go?"

"You've got mail." Brooklyn says as she holds three envelopes, more than likely they're meant for work.