04 - nights like these

IN WHICH two teens (who are in love) are neighbors. 

strawberry stained fingertips, chain smoking. 

nini sat in her room, her laptop in her lap while she did homework. she had a bowl of cut up strawberries beside her thigh, reaching into it to grab a few each time she finished an assignment. by the time she was done, the tips of her fingers were stained a strawberry red. she laughed to herself and put her laptop down, setting her bowl on her night desk carefully, and walked into her bathroom to clean her hands. 

meanwhile, ricky was watching the girl from his own room while lighting a cigarette. he had a small, goofy grin that his lips couldn't suppress. he watched as she moved to her bathroom, now unable to see the girl. he turned away, back to his guitar that had a notebook on it, his songwriting notebook. 

he sloppily wrote, "strawberry stained fingertips." he tapped his pencil against his notebook before looking down at his fingers, which held a burning cigarette. 

his handwriting still hadn't improved while he wrote, "chain smoking." 

blood on your jeans.

6:02 p.m.

 ricky paced his room. homecoming was soon, and he was trying to think of ways to ask the girl next door to the dance. he hadn't seen he walk into her room yet, which concerned him just a bit. 

10:58 p.m.

nini limped into her bedroom, glancing down at her knee. she quietly cursed, wincing noticeably at the amount of blood surrounding the wound. she took a few tissues from her dresser and wiped the gash clean of blood. after finishing, she searched around for anything she could clean it with.

when she couldn't, she left her room in search of a towel. when finding said towel, she walked into her bathroom and started the shower, stripping down before ambling into the shower.'

meanwhile, ricky had seen her walk into her room with her blood stained jeans, his eyes widened while his brows rose. he quickly pushed threw his pile of songwriting things, opening his notebook. 

"blood on your jeans." 

the smell after the thunderstorm that knocked the power out.

nini huffed out a breath while she stared at her ceiling. nothing was working, and she wasn't sure if ricky was awake or not, so she had nothing to do except.. this. she frowned and sat up, staring into the boy's room. she grinned excitedly when she saw his dresser light on. quickly, she wrote a note on a large notepad. 

"hey, ricky!"

ricky looked up, seeing something moving. he grinned to himself when he read the note, quickly opening his window since he didn't have a big enough notepad at the moment. 

"your power's out too?!" 

"yeah!" 

"huh, smells like rain!" 

"well duh! its the smell after a thunderstorm, stupid!" 

ricky laughed, pulling out of the window. "goodnight, nini!" 

"night!" 

the next morning, ricky awoke to a dusty smelling morning, but quickly he brightened up when he reminisced the moments from last night. 

"the smell after the thunderstorm that knocked the power out." 

i place my head between my knees and think: "do you ever have nights like these?" 

ricky sat on his bed, staring out of the window and watching nini do her homework at 1:49 in the morning. he chuckled to himself before resting his head in between his knees, a sad, yet happy feeling flooding in and out of his chest. he felt like crying - yet her wanted to jump through the window and kiss the girl next door. he wondered if she ever felt the same. 

she obviously didnt, and he was just reading their situation wrong. why would a girl like her like a boy like him? 

he lifted his head up again and gave a sad smile directed towards her window. "do you ever have nights like these..?" 

word count: 649