Prologue

"Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other."         -Eric Burbon

        Evil is not born, it is made with the cruelties and twisted ways of man. What would appear as an evil deed to society might just appear as a necessity to survive in a cold, cruel world to a single individual. This makes sense when one is thinking rationally, but when being confronted by one of these people, logic may not necessarily be your top priority. 

        Now, I will tell you a story and you can decide for yourself whom the villain is. 

.~❤~.~❤~.

Paris, France; 1862

        In a small fair by the Seine River, there was a boy, a man, a crowd, and a stick. People had gathered around a cage to watch the 'Devil's Child' get beat mercilessly by a large hairy man. Each time the wooden staff landed on the child, he only whimpered and made a feeble attempt to prevent the stick from smashing his skull to pieces. 

        In that crowd, there was only one person who watched with pity as the young seven year old was whipped cruelly. Her name was Antoinette Giry, an eighteen year old ballerina trainee at the Opera Populaire. She bit her lip and held her tongue, longing to help the child.

        After the boy was beat, the large hairy man pointed at him and commanded, "Sing!" 

        The kid looked up and slowly began to sing, "Au clair de la lune, mon ami Pierrot, prête-moi ta plume pour écrire un mot. Ma chandelle est morte, je n'ai plus de feu. Ouvre-moi ta porte pour l'amour de Dieu."

        His angelic yet sorrowful voice filled Antoinette with all his sadness as she watched everyone leave, laughing at what they had witnessed. As she was leaving the tent, she looked back and saw the boy's face full of anger as he strangled the older man with a rope. The little boy sat up and grabbed his toy monkey after he committed his crime.

        Antoinette ran up to the boy and dragged him away from the tent before anyone could realize what had happened.

        After running for a few kilometers, Antoinette slowed down and stopped behind the Opera Populaire. She looked back and quickly opened up a small trapdoor to enter the opera's chapel.

        The little boy went in gladly. As he began to climb down and looked at Antoinette gratefully. He gently whispered, "Why did you help me?"

        Antoinette looked at the little boy kindly and answered without hesitation, "Everybody needs a little compassion." She smiled a wide toothy grin, which the boy returned. 

        As the boy continued his journey into the catacombs, Antoinette called out, "Wait! I forgot to ask for your name!"

        The boy turned around, with all the sorrow of the world in his eyes, he answered, "I was once called Erik." He turned around with a slight smile and disappeared into the shadows.

        Antoinette watched her little fugitive and smiled, not knowing that the Phantom of the Opera had been born that day.

.~❤~.~❤~.~❤~.~❤~.

I hope y'all liked this first chapter =) Please feel free to comment/point out my mistakes. =) The other chapters are MUCH longer that this.

                ~Snowy