Chapter VIII - A Brewing Storm

Christine POV

May 5, 1862

"All I remember about my mother is what my father had told me about her. She had my long, curly brown hair, my white porcelain skin, and my small dancer's figure," I breathed out.

Raoul was sitting to my right as we admired the Swedish seas. My father's little cottage was to our right. The red roses sparkled in the setting sun, reflecting the water droplets of that morning's shower. The new grass shoots were an almost minty color, rattling as the wind blew gusts of air across the top of the cliff we were on.

Raoul stared at the deep blue ocean, reflecting orange as the sun set, leaving us breathless. His blue eyes seemed entranced with the violet skies, dotted with stars. We both watched the sun, silently, as it hid behind the curvature of the earth. We sat there for what felt like hours.

"How old are you Little Lotte?" Raoul asked out of the blue.

I giggled at his flushed cheeks, "I am five, you silly boy!"

Raoul's cheeks were even redder, "Right, sorry. I forgot."

"I figured," my grin widened from ear to ear.

Raoul nodded his head, "I am ten!" He looked at me nervously.

I rolled my eyes, "I know. I don't forget." Why is he so flustered? While I contemplated Raoul's strange behavior, the wind picked up, blowing my rose-red scarf into the sea. "My scarf!"

Gustave's POV

Madame de Chagny was looking at me with those terrifying deep, black pools of intimidation. I gripped my violin case tighter as she began to speak, "My son, Raoul, is rather fond of your daughter. In fact, he already speaks of marrying her." She paused and looked at me, as if daring me to speak. "I give my son everything he wants."

I gulped, not liking where this conversation was leading.

"I will let you live in peace if, and only if, your daughter is arranged to be married to Raoul," she sneered.

I felt my air leave my lungs, Steal my daughter's chance to love? No, I can't do that.

Annalise smirked at me, "You know, I have always wondered if you and your daughter have music in your veins? If you do not agree to marry your daughter to Raoul, I shall find out."

I took a deep breath and whimpered, "Very well."

"Good." She left the cottage with a sly smile on her lips. Her blond curly hair was held up tight in an arrogant snobbish manner.

Very well, Madame. We shall simply have to disappear.

Christine POV

Raoul was soaked to the skin as he climbed out of the water. His dirty blonde locks of hair clung to the frame of his head as he stepped closer. "You should keep this scarf away from the cliffs," he said as he wrapped his arms around his soaking suit.

I laughed, "But the cliffs are literally my backyard."

Raoul laughed at my silly joke as he handed me my red scarf when we heard his mother call out sweetly, "Raoul, honey! We are leaving!"

Raoul hugged me, getting me slightly wet, as he bid me goodbye. He took off running while I weakly waved. Why did he hug me? Eww, I hate hugs.

I watched him get in the carriage with his mother and then disappear into the darkness. After standing there, just frozen doing absolutely nothing, I decided to go inside.

As I entered, I was met with my father packing two suitcases full of clothes. I was baffled by the strange sight. "Father, what are you doing?"

Father continued to pack as he grunted, "We are leaving Sweden." He grabbed the suitcases, his violin, and my hand, dragging us toward our carriage. "We must leave now."

Confused, I climbed into the carriage without a question. The horses began to trot away. I turned around and saw the cottage by the sea for the last time.

Gustave's POV

We must leave now. Thanks to the de Chagny's, I won't be able to raise my daughter in a single place. We must be always on the run. Always hiding. Always fleeing. Never safe until Annalise is dead.

[A/N: This is a really short chapter, I am sorry. Picture above belongs to me by the way. (;]