Chapter IV - Growing up

"The trick is growing up without growing old."         -Casey Stengel

.~❤~.~❤~.

Erik's POV

1:24 AM. September 27, 1867 

        Today was the day Mademoiselle Giry was going to leave me for some fool called Jules. She had received permission from the Opera's owners to have her wedding at the opera house, so I had no excuse to not go, especially since the theme was masquerade I had been dreading the day all month. 

        I had spent all night searching for a nice outfit, but everything was too bright and eye catching. Just as I was beginning to loose hope I found a dark muddy brown cravat and a single breasted waistcoat with brown floral silk. Looking at these two items, I knew what I wanted to wear. Recalling seeing a black suit with white lining, I grew excited. I began to sprint to where I had seen the suit and found it on the floor. I quickly lifted it off the ground and compared the color against the cravat and waistcoat. I smiled at the contrast created by the colors. 

        I grinned like a maniac as I grabbed black leather shoes, a black belt, and black leather gloves. Just as I was leaving the room, a black cape caught my attention. My grin grew even larger at the sight of the cape. I took a tiny detour, grabbing the cape, and carried on to go bathe myself.

        I heard my footsteps hitting the stone floors as I ran along the tunnels. As I approached the lake, the air began to cool off. I jumped on my little boat and paddled my way towards the island. During my stay on the island, I had discovered a bathroom. I believe the toilets and showers were placed there for the workers who once worked here. I had also found a kitchen, but I hadn't the faintest idea on how to cook.

*15 minutes later*

        After I finished washing myself, I dried myself with a brown towel. I walked towards the swirly brass mirror and looked at myself. I had grown a lot in the past five and a half years. I was now 168 cm (5ft 6in) tall and still growing. I quickly slipped on my undergarments, the suit's pants, and the blouse. They were a bit loose, but I was still growing. I quickly buttoned up the shirt and the waistcoat, tied the cravat around my neck, and slipped on the jacket. I then turned towards the cape and put it on eagerly. The cape was long and flowed majestically behind me. I then realized, I love capes and plan to wear one till the day I die.

        I inspected myself in the mirror, checking the suit to be sure that I did but look awkward. Once I was done, I untangled my hair and let the shaggy locks dangle from my head. Looking at my face, I lost the little bit of self-esteem I had gained. I grated my molars as I searched for my white mask. Where the did I put it?

        I searched all around the mirror, growing more frustrated by the second. Just as I thought I would lash out, I remembered that I had left it in the bathroom.

*Seven hours later*

        The wedding was rather fancy and the conversations were dull. I was able to speak to three people whom did not bore me to death. The first man was a man named Gustav Daaé. He was a famous Swedish violinist with great talent and knowledge. I also learned a few neat tricks with the violin. The second person was his daughter, she was ten years old and was too shy to say her name. However, she knew a bit about music so I was able to converse. The last person was a man called Nadir, whom went by the alias of 'The Persian'. His conversation was the most intriguing of them all. Nadir was an architect with a long list of commissions. Halfway through the dinner party, we retreated to an empty office and he showed me his plans for several buildings, including the left wing of the opera house. For several hours I modified a few of his designs. I was at first nervous about my modifications but after the first three, I grew more confident.