Chapter 1

Y/N walked up the steps into the ever familiar parlor, two very distinct voices catching their attention. One, the bright and high pitched voice of Hu Tao. It was strange that this young woman was the boss of such an establishment, since she carried none of the usual somber demeanor a funeral director would have. An air of cheer and joyful acceptance of death was always about her.

The second voice was one that Y/N took a strange delight in hearing everyday. Mr. Zhongli's voice was one of much lower timber, smooth and steady, as strong as the Earth itself.

"Good morning." Y/N yawned, trying their best to sound optimistic, while really just wanting to crawl back into the comfort of their bed.

"Good morning, our ever helpful, wonderful assistant," Hu Tao cheerfully replied. If one didn't know better, they'd think from her reply that today is a day of celebration. "Today is becoming a very busy day, huh?"

"Indeed it is, director. Good morning, Y/N," Zhongli chimed in.

Now that Y/N was paying closer attention, Zhongli sounded slightly different today... a strain in his voice he didn't usually have. Studying him closer, Y/N could see very plainly that he was much more tense than he usually would be... but then again, this was a stressful day, so Y/N didn't question it much further.

Y/N took a good look at the two. They almost looked to be siblings; the long dark brown hair, fair skin, and formal attire. The differences, upon closer inspection, were like night and day. Hu Tao's scarlet eyes are always lit with mirth and mischief, ironic due to her line of work. Zhongli's golden eyes were pensive and calculating, seemingly carrying secrets older than time, and his body was formed as if sculpted from marble. Well dressed, and with an almost Ethereal appearance to rival the archons; anyone who caught sight of Zhongli would be unable to look away.

"Well then, Y/N, you will be joining me today in the preparations for Mr. Daoming's celebration of life, as per director Hu Tao's instruction," Zhongli announced. Y/N realized they'd been staring a tad too long at Zhongli, and focused back on what really mattered; work.