Chapter 8

KAYE GONZALES' POV

Isa isa akong nilapitan ng mga bisita at binati na para 'bang dumulas sa isip nila na anak ako ng taong inapi nila. Hinanap ng mga mata ko ang mga Olivio. Hindi pa sila pwede umalis dahil inihanda ko ang okasyon na ito para sa kanila at hindi pa ko nagsisimula.

"What a beautiful event you've put together!" Mr. Zendrick complimented as he approached with his two sons, Blake and a bug-eyed man. How did he manage not to blink for almost one minute? If a human's eyeball could pop out easily, his might be rolling on the ground right now.

"Thank you, Mrs. Olivio. I'm thrilled you could join us tonight."

"It's quite the affair you've put so much effort to this party, Ms. Kaye. Must have cost a pretty penny." Ramdam ko naman ang sarcasm sa boses ni Blake habang binabanggit ang bawat salita. Seems like someone's already hating me huh?

"Well, I wanted to make sure it was a memorable evening for everyone," I said. An uncomfortable silence fell between us, and Mr. Zendrick quickly stepped in to diffuse the tension.

"I believe you already met Blake. Now, I'd like to introduce to you my third son, Luke Zean Olivio" oh, the youngest one. He has lean average build and his skin is pale, clear and smooth. He has thid rich shade of black hair with two thin strands of hair that forms a delicate comma and fall gracefully across his forehead.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Luke Olivio. I'm Kaye Gonzales. I preferred if you call me Ms. Kaye." we both shake our hands.

"I didn't feel much like smiling today until I saw you, Ms. Kaye. You can call me Luke. It's very nice to meet you" Luke said with a genuine smile spreading across his fac at mukhang nakabalik na siya sa ulirat niya.

"What a sweet mouth you have" I replied softly, then turned to Mr. Zendrick. "It seems the Olivios have an enticing appearance, don't they?" I complimented. He chuckled as a response

"Ms. Kaye, we wanted to express our gratitude for inviting us tonight, and I wanted to apologize on behalf of my eldest son for not making it," Mr. Zendrick added.

"Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I understand," sagot ko naman. Just then, Blake handed me a bouquet of roses.

"Well, we won't keep you any longer. Enjoy the rest of your evening, Ms. Kaye," Mr. Zendrick said as they prepared to leave and entertain the other guest.

"Thank you and have a wonderful night" I replied. Pag-alis ng nga Olivio ay napukaw naman ng MC ang atensyon ng lahat nang muli itong magsalita.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen, I wish to tell something to everybody here today. Did you know that Ms. Kaye is far more talented than you might imagine? Many of you know her as a brilliant businesswoman. But what you might not know is that she is also an incredibly gifted instrumentalist." nagtinginan naman sa'kin ang ibang mga bisita with their amused eyes.

"Yes, that's right! And tonight, she has graciously agreed to share her musical talent with us. So, without further ado, please join me in welcoming the amazing Ms. Kaye to the stage! Let's give her a warm round of applause." nagpalakpakan naman ang mga tao at nalipat sa'kin ang spotlight. I graciously walk towards the stage habang nginingitian ang lahat. The emcee steps back.

"Ms. Kaye, the stage is yours!" I nodded and smiled as a response. Kinuha ko ang violin at pinosisyon ko ang aking mga daliri sa mga string. If by bread ang napili kong tugtugin.

The room fell silent as I strummed the first chords habang paisa- isang kinakanta ang ibang verse. As the song flows, I glanced around the room and I saw Mr. Olivio in the front row, blunted. Blake and Luke just went blank. I can't help but to smirk. Alys had told me that it was the favorite song of the late Mrs. Olivio, the most precious woman of the Olivio family. The song was played on Mrs. Olivio's last day, a gentle farewell that echoed her grace and love for music. I wonder what it must have felt like for the Olivio's to hear it again, after all this time.

As I draw the bow across the strings, kitang kita ko ang mabigat na emosyon sa mga mata ng Olivio yet, I am not here to comfort them. Gusto kong maalala nila lahat ng masasayang alaala kasama ang pinakamamahal nilang ina at asawa. Gusto kong maramdaman nila ulit yung pakiramdam ng pagkawala, yung sakit at pagdurusa na naranasan nila.

The final chords linger in the air, and for a moment, there is complete silence. Then, a soft murmur of appreciation and applause spreads through the audience, but my eyes are fixed on the Olivio's. They are the ones who matter most in this moment. I gaze at them again, and I see Blake looking at me, emotionless. As the applause dies down, I know that the first note of my revenge has been struck through the hearts of the Olivio's.

"I think I caught a perfect melody tonight" I muttered.

ZEAN OLIVIO'S POV

I arrived at the party, and I was greeted by the lively ambiance of laughter and music from the venue. Hindi ako fan ng mga party, lalo na kung business related. Wala naman akong choice kun'di um-attend since I already manage the company, and this is my duty now. Tch, what a life I have.

My father said that this event is important than the other past events. But to me, it's just another show-off fest for businessmen. Same suits, same speeches. Hindi ko makita kung bakit naging espesyal ang event na 'to. Wala ako sa mood makipag-plastikan kaya pinili ko na lang lumayo mula sa maingay na lugar na 'yon.

Humampas sa mga buhok ko ang hangin mula sa dagat, habang unti unti namang nawawala sa pandinig ko ang ingay mula sa okasyon. Nang makalayo ako ay umupo ako at inilabas ang bote ng tequila na kinuha ko sa dumaang waiter kanina. Tinungga ko ito na parang tubig. Parties supposed to be a joyous occasion but for me, it felt suffocating. Being the heir isn't all it's cracked up to be. Expected to show up, smile, shake hands-all for the family name. Pakiramdam ko nakakulong ako. Na kahit anong subok kong takas, hindi ako makawala. I wonder if there's more to life than just living up to their expectations.

"Why did you leave, Mom?"bulong ko sa sarili ko, kasabay ang malakas na boses ng dagat. Bigla akong nakaramdaman ng sakit, kaya't pinikit ko ang mga mata at sinikap kalimutan ang mga salitang iyon. Ngunit parang sinusubok ako ng tadhana dahil narinig ko ang isang pamilyar na kanta, at biglang bumuhos ang maraming alaala sa isip ko. Kahit nangingibabaw ang hampas ng mga alon ay napakalakas parin ng tunog ng kantang 'yon sa tainga ko. It was her favorite song-the one she used to play on lazy Sunday afternoons. The soft notes wrapped around me like a warm blanket, bringing back my mom's laughter.

I stumble back to the party, the world swirls around me in a dizzying haze. The hallways seem to stretch endlessly, and every step feels like a struggle.

"O my ghod, are you okay?" sinubukan kong mag-focus, but all I could see was the blurry outline of a woman. Kumapit ako sa malamig na pader habang pinipilit na  ibina-balanse ang sarili ko. Nahulog naman ang telepono ko mula sa kamay ko kaya naman nagmamadali kong pinulot ito.

"Mom?" bulong ko. The music seems to come from every direction, teasing me, taunting me. I try to call her, to hear her voice once more.

"Mom, please... nandiyan ka ba? Sagutin mo naman ako..." my voice cracked as I pleaded through the phone. Narmdaman ko naman ang pagtulo ng mga luha ko na kanina ko pa pinipigilan. Even though the song was already finished, it still grows louder in my head, drawing me closer, yet I feel further away than ever.

"I... I heard her," nanghihina kong sabi "The song... it's her---" before I could finish, everything went black as I passed out.

***