Chapter 1: Ella's Parents

Ella is a young girl, living with her wealthy parents. She plays in the gardens, and sometimes does the housework around. Her father is a merchant, traveling whenever he can, making Ella miss him so. But although how far away he may be, Ella always knew he would come back. When her father is gone, Ella stays with her mother, playing in the garden. Ella is kind, and her family couldn't be happier.

Ella walks through the garden feeding the animals in the barn. She feeds the almost every animal and then leans down and looks at the mice.

"Now there, we all have to have our share, but Gus, make sure you don't take anyone's food alright?"

The mice stare at Ella, then start munching down on the food Ella just gave to them. Ella stares at them smiling, watching them eat and occasionally talking to them.

"Eat up!"

Her mother walks in on her feeding and talking to the mice. She looks at Ella with a smile and sits beside her.

"Do you still believe they know what you're saying?"

Ella smiled at her mother.

"Of course they can!"

The mother smiled and smiled at Ella.

"Well, as humans it's our job to look over animals."

A sudden question popped into Ella's mind.

"Then who takes care of humans?"

Ella's mother smiled and got close to her.

"Fairy God Mothers."

"Do you believe in them?"

Her mother stood up from the ground.

"Of course I believe in them!"

"Then I believe in them too!"

The carriage rolled on the pathway to Ella's mansion, her father was coming home from his journey and Ella is excited. She jumps out of the garden and hurries to the courtyard of the house, she looks at the carriage approaching and waves at it.

"Father! Father! Father!"

The carriage comes into the courtyard and stops in front of the house. Ella's father comes out and hugs Ella.

"I found this on the first branch I saw."

He holds out a green box which can be opened.

"Wow! What's inside?"

The father opens the little box, revealing a purple butterfly made of paper in the box. Ella stares at it with a smile. The father speaks up.

"In a french it is a... Un Papillion!"

"Un papillion?"

"Yes. A butterfly!"

They both laugh until Ella's father holds out his hands.

"voulez-vous danser madamoiselle?"

"Oui, merci!"

They both jump up and start dancing.

"Ah you're stepping on my toes!"

All Ella could do was laugh, and laugh.

Ella loved her parents, more than anything. But happiness doesn't last forever.