Rivalry

Draco found it quite easy to gain Kordelia's trust. The girl would walk with him to classes they shared, telling him about the professors and what to expect. He almost felt bad he was using her for entertainment and to get on Granger's nerves. He also had to admit he was fascinated by the shadows surrounding her, how the darkness moved to her will and she didn't even know it.

Once lunch came around, she guided him through the line, getting their orders, before going to her table. Draco smirked when he saw Granger sitting with another dark haired girl already.

This would be fun.

"Who's your friend, Kore?" The dark haired girl asked with a wicked smirk as she eyed him up and down. "Found a new toy already?"

Kordelia took her seat next to Granger, and Draco sat on her other side. He noticed two vacant seats on either side of the other girl, who sat in front of Kordelia.

"This is Draco. He's new." Kordelia introduced him. "Draco, these are my best friends, Hermione and Alessia."

Granger paled when she saw Draco. She tried her best to not look shocked, but he knew better. Him being here scared her.

"Pleasure to meet you both. Kordelia has been nothing but helpful." Draco stated politely.

Kordelia and Alessia would poke fun at each other while eating, Draco noticed. Granger tried her best to ignore his presence entirely.

After lunch, Kordelia lead Draco to their next class, which they so happened to share. She chatted amicably with him about her two best friends, and how Hermione had been the one to find out about the Declan situation.

So, Granger cared about the girl greatly, then.

In the following weeks, Draco had grown used to Kordelia's presence, as well as the presence of the swirling shadows around her that the other muggles seemed to not notice. Kordelia had also been the most unusual person Draco had seen. None of the boys he ran into could possibly be the untrained wizard he had met. They didn't possess wild and untamed magic, if any at all.

He briefly began to wonder if instead of a wizard, it was a muggle girl.

Kordelia being the second chosen one was the only thing that made sense to him. She had control over shadows, whether she knew it or not. She was the only rational choice.

He wrote to Snape, thankful once again he had his own room as he sent the owl away with his letter detailing his suspicions.

He could tell his presence around Kordelia angered Granger. She would glare at him any second Kordelia was not looking. He knew it angered her further that she could not confront him, as any time she was near, Kordelia was as well. She didn't want to risk the girl asking questions.

-

Kordelia felt better having both Draco and Hermione around. It was as if the two were what Alessia and her needed for their friend group to be complete once Declan was taken out. Draco was charming and cunning, while Hermione was helpful and kind. She could tell the two did not get along very well, but found herself thankful for their efforts.

Kordelia sat next to Draco in the courtyard, seeing him working on an assignment. The weather was quite nice that day, so she didn't mind. Draco paid her no mind as he continued working on his assignment. Kore began reading her book, his presence keeping her calm.

"Why are you here instead of with Granger and Alessia?" Draco asked her after a moment. She didn't look up.

"Why do you always wear slacks and button down shirts? Don't you ever feel uncomfortable?" She countered. It was Saturday, a day where they could dress as relaxed as they wanted. Kordelia herself was dressed in a pair of black ripped jeans and a dark green tank top. She didn't wear shoes, he noted.