Chapter 3

Three Months Later
"Come here, Logan," I heard Skylar from upstairs. Today was her first day at school. I was worried. Apparently, I looked distressed, I felt Cedar touch my shoulder.
"What?" he asked.
"What if..." I started. "What if she doesn't like it, or...or the kids bully her?"
"She'll be fine," he comforted me. "She has Logan with her."
"I guess you're right," I said and turned to get ready. Soon, Skylar was coming downstairs with Logan.
"Are you ready?" Cedar jumped right in while getting his cup of coffee.
"I think so," Sky said, Logan nudging her into a chair. Sky pet him and I put a plate with a bagel in front of her. After eating, we all piled into our Lexus and started heading to her school.
We arrived at Hayes Elementary School and pulled up to the front door. We hugged her and waved goodbye for the day.
"See you after school!" Cedar said as Logan led Skylar into the school. I was worried.
*Sky's POV*
I walked into school with Logan leading me around the wide halls. All was going well until I felt a push against my shoulder.
"Where do you think you're going?" I heard a voice say.
"What?" I ask. "J-just to my first class."
"Oh," the voice said. "Well, school regulations-" he took Logan's leash out of my hand. "say that 'No Dogs are allowed on School Grounds'" His grip was hard and I couldn't move.
"Give me Logan back!" I pushed as hard as I can against the boys' grip.
"Why? What are you, blind?" he chuckled. I could hear others laughing behind him. A girl and two boys by the sound of it. I stopped struggling. My eyes teared up.
"Yes. Yes, I am blind," I said. They stopped laughing. Then, I heard the sound of a door opening and a voice.
"Boys," the voice said. "And Marian. Skylar can have a dog on the premises. Logan is her guide dog." I felt the hand fall off my shoulders. "Thank you, Charlie." I heard the clicking of the heels coming nearer. She put the leash in my hands again. I nodded a thank you and quickly ran off to what I thought was the courtyard. I sat down and started to cry. Is this what it's like being blind at school? Will everyone do this to me? Questions raced through my mind, but, eventually, I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I, being stunned, jumped up and stepped back. I heard Logan even growl a bit. I pet his head and he stopped.
"Who... Who are you?" I asked.
The voice answered,"Can't you see me?" It was another boy.
I lost it. I knelt down and started bawling. "No..." I cried. "I can't see you..." He put his hand on my shoulder.
"Hey," he said. "It's okay." I touched his hand. Warm and kind, unlike Charlie who's hand was cold and mean. I stopped crying and started to smile.
"What's your name?" I asked him.
"My name is Ashton," he replied.
"What do you look like?" I asked.
Ashton thought for a moment. "Hmm..." he started. Well, I'm tall, I guess. I have short blonde hair and I have brown eyes. At least that's what my mom says. I see them as sort of gray." I imagined him. He looked good in my head. I stood up and wiped my eyes.
"Where are you going now?" I asked.
"To Science, my first period," Ashton answered.
"Hey," I said. "Me, too. Will you show me the way?"
"Of course," he said and led me back inside the cold school, in contrast to the warm weather outside. We walked to Science class a little late. Ashton's excuse was he was leading me here and I kept losing my footing and falling, so that took up some time. I rolled my eyes and the class started.