Chapter 8

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of bacon coming from the kitchen. Cedar making breakfast before work. I opened my eyes and smiled.

"I should get up Sky will be leaving soon," my brain tried to convince me. "Noooooo..." I thought back. I slowly rolled out of bed and put a comfortable outfit on. I walked into the kitchen and saw Skylar with Cedar.

"Hey, honey," he greeted me. "I'll take Sky to school today. So you can have more time with Felix."

"Thank you, honey," I kissed him and he walked Sky to the car. I started walking upstairs. I heard a little baby about to start fussing, so I walked faster. I opened the door and saw Felix rolling around in his crib. I picked him up and rocked him in my arms.

"Shhh," I said calmly. "It's ok, little one. Mommy's here." I walked him downstairs and went into the backyard. He almost immediately stopped crying when he saw the vast forest in front of us. Instead, he smiled and tried to grab it with his little fingers. I looked at him.

"You want to go see the trees?" I said playfully. Felix giggled a yes and I couldn't help but smile. I love my little one. He has my black hair and Cedar's spirit along with his special purple eyes. I started to walk to the fence that separated us from the wide forest ahead of us. I opened the gate and walked out. Felix couldn't stop staring at the wide expanse of forest ahead of us and smiling. I couldn't help smiling, either. I started to walk into the woods. I took the trail into the part of the forest we knew. Felix was just gawking at every tree in his way and giggling. I led him around and we made it to the little lagoon I found a few years back. The pool was shining with light, as usual, and it seemed never-ending, although it was only a few feet deep. Felix nearly jumped out of my arms when he saw it. I quickly regained him and knelt down beside the cool water. Felix reached his hand out and put it in the water. He smiled and swished his hand. It almost splashed me and I laughed. I held him close to me until I felt my phone buzz. It was Cedar.

"I'm home," it said. "Where are you and Felix?" I stood up and started walking back home.

"Out for a little stroll in the woods," I responded. "Felix seems to love it."

"Him and me both," Cedar responded.

"And me," I reminded him. "Don't forget your wife." I had almost made it out of the forest by then. Then, he responded.

"Of course not. ;)" he replied. I walked back in the gate to find Cedar waiting for me with his phone. He smiled at me and Felix and led me back inside.