Chapter 1

I was awakened by someone tugging on my pajamas.
"Mom?" said the small voice. Skyar.
"Yes, Sky?" I answered.
"Can we go outside now?" she asked. I sat up in the bed.
"It's six o'clock in the morning," I said.
"But I want to see-" she stopped. "I want you to describe the sunrise." She looked down and closed her sightless eyes.
I put my hand in her shoulder. "Let's go, Sky," I said and led her to the balcony.
"What does it look like?" Sky said when she felt the cool winter morning.
"Well," I said, trying to put it into words. "There are some things we see that simply can't be explained. There are some things too beautiful to put into words, but I'll try my best." I looked at the sunrise closely, thinking of the right words. "When the sun comes up, the sky let's out a burst of color from pink to chartreuse to deep violet, spreading all around the sky. As the sun gets higher in the sky, however, those colors start to disappear into the clouds until all that's left is a brilliant blue. That's why we savor the sunrise." Sky wasn't looking at me, her sightless green eyes were fixed on the sky.
"I can see it," she said. "I can see it in my mind."
I smiled, brought her to my side, brushed her light brown hair away from her face, and kissed her forehead. "I love you, Sky. Let's go back inside. It's cold this morning." And with that, I led her inside