Chapter 3: Sunshine's Noodles and Mami

Ray was currently texting his dad. At first, Rodd hesitated because he thought it could be dangerous, but after the whole discussion about the coffee beans and the state about requesting the two officers helping him and Diona along the way, he agreed.

The officers were astonished at the small request Ray told them after he texted Rodd. They were even more astonished when Diona told them the same thing.

I guess it's a coincidence we have the same request, Ray thought.

"That's a great idea, you two, but how are we gonna solve this problem while we're still at work?" the same young employee asked Ray and Diona.

"The manager can contact either me, Diona or the officers. We will go look for the thief behind the stolen coffee beans while the rest of you guys will continue your business here," explained Ray.

"That's sounds perfect," said the second officer.

"And it will be a better way to discuss things out when we contact with each other," said the first officer.

"That's true," said Ray, then he turned to the manager. "What do you think, manager?"

The manager's thumb and index finger reached for his chin and pinched it gently. "Hmm..." As soon as it's heard, all eyes were on him. They're listening carefully to every word, so that they'll know if it's a good idea for him or not. "I suppose..." He then, turned to Ray. "We'll contact each other if we have any leads."

"Then, it's settled," said Diona. "I'll text my mom to fetch us in the taxicab or possibly a vehicle of the Daniels." She then turned to Ray,"If you and your family already have one."

While Diona was speaking, Ray heard a beeping in his right pocket. His hand sank in the pocket and pulled out his cellphone. He opened it and surprisingly, it was a message. From his dad himself. He opened his messaging app. What he read was also surprising.

I'll pick you and Diona up in my van. And yes, you can bring the officers along with us. We need all the help we can get.

His lips stretched out a smile as he read this message. As soon as he heard Diona's last sentence, his head turned to her,"My dad says that he's gonna pick us up soon in his van. He also said we can bring the officers along with us."

"That's great, Ray! I hope Rodd is smart enough to help us too," replied Diona.

He nodded in response.

You might be wondering how Diona met the Daniels family. Well, it all started out after their graduation in college. Ray invited her to come over in his house to meet up with his family. But she had to be in an event where she and her friends were going on a parade. Diona was part of those who got to dance along in the parade.

That, night, she and Ray's cousin, Rosetta Daniels, arrived in his house. Rosetta introduced her to the Daniels as a friend of Ray's. Unfortunately for them, they were unaware if Ray and Diona were officially dating. But Teresa was busy talking with one of Diona's friends. Sunny Lustre. She happened to be Ron's new girlfriend.

After they eat dinner, Diona said their goodbyes to them before being picked up by Jeannette and her family.

When they found out Ray and Diona were officially dating, they were astonished. Then, it was Teresa who had an exciting expression with Rodd smiling proudly at them. Most especially his son.

Right now, everything is settled. The employees and the manager were still in business of the House of Pancakes while Ray, Diona and the officers were standing at the entrance waiting for Rodd to pick them up.

Silence occurred in the atmosphere, but it was rather comfortable than a usual awkward silence anyone has ever experienced. Ray was still looking at the view while waiting for the van when the second officer broke the silence.

"How much time do we have to wait for the van to come here?"

"Patience, Luke. I'm sure the van will come here any minute," said the first officer.

"If you say so, Jonathan," replied Luke.

Around three minutes later, the van finally arrived in front of the small group. The window on the very left opened to reveal Rodd himself,"I heard the coffee beans were stolen by some thief, right?"

"Yes, it's true," replied Diona. "The guy was about a little taller than the waiter. The only other details I got was the cap, which was bought from—"

"American Boulevard. I know. Ray told me about the entire situation. I'm sure we'll know who the thief is in no time," said Rodd.

"Alright. Let's go. Jeanette accepted my permission to go with you guys. As long as you watch over me."

"Of course, we'll watch over you, Diona. Why wouldn't we?" Ray replied to Diona.

She chuckled at Ray's response. "Okay then. Come on. Let's get inside the van or we'll waste our time talking about things."

He chuckled as they all got inside the van.

The officers went inside first since the ones sitting at the back will always go first. Then, Diona went inside next with Ray being the last. Once Ray slid the door closed, it was time for the quintet to take off.

A few hours later, they had arrived in a certain gas station and mini-mall they always stop by. And inside was a certain restaurant Ray likes during his high school and college days. Sunshine's Noodles and Mami. The van went through the big entrance gate. Rodd drove it to the parking space under the "private vehicles" category.

"You really wanna stop by here, do you?" Ray heard Diona asking him.

"I would ask my dad the same thing, but nonetheless, it's one of my favorite restaurants," said Ray.

A chuckle was heard from Rodd. "Come on, guys. Let's have a small break."

With that being said, they all exited the van.

There, both Ray and Rodd ordered the usuals every time they came in this place. Jonathan and Luke ordered Beef Mami while Diona ordered Chicken Noodle Soup.

When food arrived along with four glasses of cold water with a few ices, they folded their hands and gave thanks to the Lord for the food. After that, they began to eat.

This time, Ray wasn't devouring porridge as fast as he did the first time they traveled to the airport for departure. Rather, he's eating properly. At the same time, his eyes scanned for any leads, suspects and clues. Because of this, he kept his serious expression on his face.

He was snapped out of trance when he heard Rodd saying, "Something wrong, Ray?"

"Sorry, I was... too focused on the shadowy figure," he answered.

"Don't worry, son. You'll find him soon. Then, we'll figure out who that man is," said Rodd.

Ray nodded in response as he continued eating.
A few minutes later, he heard Luke telling the others,"I'll be right back."

That's when he rose from the chair and walked towards the counter. Ray looked at Luke's dish that was before his seat on his northwest corner. His plastic cup was empty, but his glass of water was half empty.

I guess he went back to the counter for one more cup of Beef Mami, he thought.

After he took a few bites of Egg Caldo, Ray and the others heard Luke calling them, "You guys! Come quickly!"

"What is it, Luke?" asked Jonathan as the quartet rose from their chairs and headed in Luke's direction to see what's going on.