Chapter 7: The Hidden Dojo

The first thing that came to Ray's mind was the fact that there's a hidden dojo in this mall. It felt like it was never told to anyone. Not even the staff and manager. The exclamations he usually heard from dojos like Cobra Kai bounced off the walls as his hand reached for the door and opened it partially.

What he saw before him was a muscular man teaching his students a technique of forward punch.he had semi-bald hair with fair skin. He also wore black sleeveless shirt with brown shorts. His face was rather a bit wrinkly and his legs were a bit ful of hair. He even looked about 50-55 years old.

Ray can also see that behind the man was a sign. A sign that means something similar to Cobra Kai. And no. Not just anything similar to Cobra Kai. It's actually Cobra Kai in the Philippines!

STRIKE FIRST
STRIKE HARD
NO MERCY

Ray could not believe that just happened. That certain someone was inspired by John Kreese to open Cobra Kai in the Philippines. But who? And yes, he knew it was the muscular man, but he never caught his name yet.

His thoughts were snapped out of it when the man asked one of his students, "What's the problem, Mr. Ross?"

I'm sorry, what?! Someone whose last name is Ross joined Cobra Kai?! Ray thought.

In his perspective, he thought Bonnie must've been in terrible shock to see that someone related to her had joined Cobra Kai.

The student, who had been asked what the problem is gestured his hands to someone who was peeking through the door. Now, all eyes in the Philippine branch of the Cobra Kai dojo turned to Ray.

"Class, we have a visitor," said the muscular man.

Once Ray heard what he said, a thought that he should open the door widely took over his mind. He knew it was now or never and he had to risk it. And so, his hand pushed the door open and the whole gang was seen right before the eyes of the Cobra Kais.

"So you're not the only one being a visitor," the man told Ray as he started approaching him. "What do you want?"

"I want to find a man who bought white rubber shoes in the Nike store," Ray answered.

"Oh, you mean this man right here," the man pointed to himself with his thumb. "That's right. I've been there."

"Why did you buy them?" asked Diona.

"That's for you to figure out yourself," said the man. "But I, Brian Rock, opened the Philippine branch of Cobra Kai to help fulfill Silver's goal."

It took less than a moment for Ray to realize that Brian was talking about Terry Silver. I mean, who's the well-known sensei apart from Kreese? But for Brian, his name and identity were never known to anyone until now.

"Seriously? You've never told us anything about stealing coffee beans, haven't you?" asked Bon Dieu.

"No," said Brian.

"Tell us right now or there'll be consequences!" said Bonnie.

"I'm telling you. I have no intention on stealing coffee beans."

"Then spill it all out. What happened last night? What did you do that time?" asked Ray.

"Since you asked, I'll tell you everything, but only if you come in and close this door." Then, his head turned to all of his students. What came out of his mouth was a serious tone. "Everyone, fall in."

That's when all his students formed a line while he went in front of them to make a brief discussion. The students backs were turned to the quartet.

Diona, Bonnie and Bon Dieu came in the hidden Cobra Kai dojo with Ray being the last. As Ray pushed the door closed, he can hear Brian talking to his students.

"While we talk about things, I'm gonna give you guys a break. When we're done, let's get down to business. Are we clear?"

"Yes, sensei!"

That's when they scattered around for their bags and they sat beside them for a break. Then, Brian called in the quartet to talk about something in private.

"Follow me, then we'll talk."

That's the same thing the manager in the House of Pancakes told me, Diona and the employees this morning. There must be some reason why he said the exact same thing the manager said this morning. I'm sure something suspicious is going on. No, Ray. You can't jump to conclusions. Just listen carefully to what Brian said and you'll find out if he's guilty for stealing coffee beans or not, Ray thought.

The place they're going to discuss about was actually an office.

Brian sat on a chair before his desk while the quartet sat on chairs that's in Ray's southwest corner. They all sat down. Ray sat beside Diona while Bonnie sat between Bon Dieu and Diona. Then, they listened to every word Brian was going to say.

"It all started out when Johnny Lawrence lost to Daniel in the nineteenth annual 18-and-Under Karate Championship. I was watching the tournament on TV when suddenly, a hand tapped my shoulder. It startled me so much that I can't help but listen to every word, but I couldn't point out who that person is."

Ray was about to ask "why?", but he held himself back from asking questions as he kept listening carefully to the story.

"I couldn't get any details of his appearance. Not even a face. But the only thing I can hear is a manly, smooth-talking voice. He told me about a deal. A deal that will leave me no choice but to go on a wrong path. If I could secretly open Cobra Kai here in the Philippines, then there'll be no problems at all. Especially when it comes to fights and brawls. If not, I would be doomed to remain weak, worthless and defenseless at all time.

"As time passed, I studied the ways of Cobra Kai. Then, after Daniel won the second time, that's when I decided to fulfill the goals of John Kreese and Terry Silver. That includes spreading aggression to all the world. But as I progress on teaching my students the way of the fist, I hesitate. I don't know if I should show mercy, for I was told that I should love my enemies. In a way I should defend myself against them, but showed mercy in the end. And now you know. I'm not like Kreese and Silver, but rather an aggressive sensei with a soft side."

Ray's eyes widened in shock as those words ran through his head. If he's not mistaken, Brian was only doing this because he had no other choice. That gut-feeling he felt inside of him that time had told him that there's no other way but to open Cobra Kai in the Philippines.

"And now, I have no intention of stealing the coffee beans. Whoever that thief is must have quick-thinking, skillful fingers and overall, a good snatcher."

"Those are the new traits you can come up with?" Ray asked him.

"It's only my theory," said Brian. "And one question. Why are there only three of you here? I thought I saw the four of you at the door?"

That's when he looked around to see if anyone is present. So far, only Diona and Bon Dieu were present. Then, he realized what just happened so suddenly while listening to his story.

"Bonnie Ross! She's gone!" said Bon Dieu.