Chapter Two: Heaven Can't Help Me Now

"Can you pack faster?" He said, sitting on the edge of Y/N's bed, bored out of his mind waiting for her to finish.

"You can't rush me, you know. It's gonna be a long weekend if you rush me."

She began placing items in her weekender bag, overpacking in Rafe's opinion, but if you asked Y/N, she just likes to be prepared for everything.

"I just wanna go, I'm dying to get out of here and spend some real time with you." He spoke, his voice quiet at the end, hoping she didn't hear. But she did.

Those words made a grin form on her face, trying to hide her lips curving, she walked to her bathroom, a sigh of relief as he was out of her peripheral.

"Okay, I think I'm good." She said, after a few minutes. She looked around her room to make extra sure she had everything she needed.

"Finally, let's go."

She rolled her eyes slightly at him, not understanding why he was in such a rush.

But at the same time, she did understand, because she also was dying to spend some real time with Rafe. They'd never really gotten to go out and enjoy things alone together, unless they wanted the entire Outer Banks to know.

The ride was long and slow, Rafe seemed to be too interested in the road lines to talk to Y/N, but she finally caved and turned the radio up, not being able to handle the silence anymore.

A variety of Taylor Swift songs blasted through his stereo, '22' came on and Y/N couldn't help but throw her head to the left and right and scream the lyrics, Rafe laughing at her in return.

"You never told me what we're doing here, you know." She pestered, because it was true. He hadn't told her, for all she knew, he was about to murder her. 'Ha, shut up, Y/N' she said in her head.

"I figured we could go sight seeing, maybe go check out USC, go eat somewhere nice. You know, the things we don't get to do at home." He smiled, taking her hand in his, pressing a kiss to the back of it.

The butterflies crept in her stomach as he did that little action. It wasn't much, but to Y/N Baldwin, coming from Rafe Cameron, it was everything.

"I think that sounds like fun." She answered back. Honestly, Y/N didn't care what they did. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she was just happy to get out of town with him.

After hours of being trapped in the car, they finally made it to Ward's apartment, Rafe grabbing the correct key off his keychain and sliding it into the keyhole.

It unlocked and the door opened to a beautiful open floor plan, with giant windows overlooking the city.

"Wow," Y/N beamed, unable to take her eyes off of the view as she sat her bag down on the ground.

"Yeah, it's beautiful. Can't understand why my dad doesn't come here more often."

"He really doesn't use this? He's crazy. If I had this apartment, I would never be able to leave."

"Maybe one day."

They smiled at each other. Y/N's phone dinged with a message from her mom, asking if she was going to be home for dinner.

This is when the butterflies started to turn into a gut wrenching feeling that she was bound to get caught.

'Keep it cool, Y/N. It'll be fine.' She told herself.

Y/N: no, hanging out with the guys, don't know what time I'll be home. Might stay the night at John B's.

Which wasn't unusual for her, it was just a slight lie for tonight, and tomorrow.