drew proposes in an unexpected way

the night Drew proposed

You had been fighting. For weeks it felt like. Weeks on end. It never stopped.

Neither of you even knew what you were arguing about anymore. It just had gotten so bad that you two were in a constant state of anger towards one another.

"Do you wanna go get food or no?" He yelled, sighing at whatever argument you had finished having tonight.

"So now you're going to change the subject? Come on, Drew."

"Y/N, I don't wanna argue right now. I'm hungry, I'm tired, I'm over it. Do you want to come or no?"

Rolling your eyes, you grabbed your keys and put on your slippers and sweater. It was raining out - correction, it was down pouring out. You both hadn't wanted to go out, but there was no food in the house and you needed to eat.

The car ride to the Chinese place down the street was silent. Drew ran in and got your food, being extra careful tonight not to slip and fall onto the hard, rain covered asphalt.

Even though you were annoyed, hurt, and angry, you couldn't help but notice how beautiful he was. He himself, being angry, annoyed, and hurt, he was still so handsome.

You slid your phone down to your left side, opening your camera and snapping a picture of him in all his angry filled glory.

The ride back home was somewhat less awkward, there was slight talking, mainly you thanking him for buying dinner and him mumbling back 'you're welcome'

After getting home and eating, you finally decided it was time to put this three week long bender of being angry with each other. Just as you were about to talk to him, he got up and started walking towards your bedroom.

"Can you please just fucking talk to me? Please? For two God damn seconds, Drew. I'm tired of fighting."

"Oh, you're tired now? It's only been how long?"

"Woah, woah. Don't try and blame this all on me. You have been apart of it too." You scoffed, not being able to believe he was blaming you for everything.

"You know what, Y/N, I'm just not in the mood. We can talk tomorrow."

"No! We can talk now or you can watch me walk out of here and never come back!" You screamed back at your boyfriend with his fresh buzz cut.

He stood there, silent. Unable to form a sentence. He stood there - frozen.

"I can't believe you right now." He whispered.

"You can't believe me?" You started. "Oh, my deepest apologies, Mr. Starkey. I forgot you're the only one allowed to have feelings!"

"I never said that, Y/N. Never once."

"But you act like it! You've been mad at me for fucking WEEKS! And I'm over it! I can't do this anymore! So either tell me the reason you've been acting the way you have been or I'm leaving for good."

He stood there and laughed - but not a regular Drew laugh, a sarcastic, annoyed, 'can't believe you' Drew laugh. Tears formed in your eyes, but you didn't dare let them fall and let Drew see you so upset.

He turned on his heels and walked down the hallway to your bedroom, you stomping after him.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" You yelled, slamming the bedroom door open.

"Y/N, just shut up for two fucking seconds." He said, angrily.

"Don't you ever tell me to shut up. I deserve a fucking explanation for your shitty and shady behavior."

He was rummaging through the top drawer of the dresser, and wouldn't stop to talk to you.

"Stop trying to pack your bags for two seconds and talk to me, Drew."

Just then, he threw a tiny black velvet box at you. You stood there unable to move, waiting for him to speak.

"You wanna know what my deal has been? I've been stressed, Y/N. Okay? Because I bought you this ring, I've been trying to plan the perfect engagement for you because you deserve it. But I've been so stressed out because I don't think I'm good enough for you anymore. I don't think I deserve you."

You opened the box, tears streaming down your face as the diamond ring sparkled in the dim light of your bedroom. You looked up at Drew as he continued to talk, unable to focus on anything except wanting to run into his arms.

"I wanted to ask you to marry me, Y/N. I want to be with you for the rest of my life. I don't want to spend a day without you. I am so in love with you and I have been since 2015."

At this point, both of you were crying, unable to hold in either of your sobs. You put the ring on the bed and walked closer to him, putting your arms around your neck and bringing him into you.

"I'm sorry," you choked into his neck, unable to say if all in one sentence because your breathing had been so hitched.

"It's not your fault. I shouldn't have been distant, I could've -"

"No. Stop. It's my fault, Drew. I should've been more understanding because of your stress, not adding to it. Maybe I couldn't know the reason you were stressed but I still could've been there. And please, don't say you're not enough. Drew, you're the most perfect person I've ever laid eyes on. The last six years of my life have been the best days of my life. I'm so thankful to have you, baby. I mean that."

He held onto you tightly, and you gripped onto him too, staying like that for several minutes.

"Please don't leave." He cried.

"Baby, I'm not going anywhere."

More time went by, the two of you moving to the bed, holding each other as you calmed down.

"I know it's not the best way to propose, but Y/N, I don't wanna wait any longer. Will you marry me?"

"I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather do for the rest of my life. Yes, baby, a million times over, yes."