vii | the state dinner

( season 1, episode 7 )the state dinner

the state dinner

PART EIGHT

LIFE HAD BEEN PLEASANT AND ENJOYABLE, a change desperately needed following the most recent notable events that Alex had experienced. She was rather excited to see Abbey again after so long and eat a solid piece of salmon.

She stood in the press briefing room while she watched C.J. tell them about all the high fashion the night would bring. Her features were tired and her voice was filled with boredom, a result of repeating the answers to questions that truly played no relevance to the evening. Alex was waiting for Josh to show up so they could inform C.J. about the impending hurricane.

When the informal brief was done C.J. made her way out of the room with Josh and Alex trailing along behind her. After completing a short rant about the new reporters and the wine to be served at dinner the press secretary turned to the two and listened to the new information that served of some importance.

"Sarah is picking up speed and power and has now been classified as a class-four system. You might want to talk about preparations and contingencies." Josh said as they continued down the hallway as a group.

"Sure. What are we talking about?"

"Hurricane Sarah," was provided by Alex.

C.J. lifted her reading glasses off the bridge of her nose, "Sarah's a hurricane?"

"Yes."

"Where is it heading?"

"Georgia and parts of the Carolinas," Alex said.

"When?"

"It will hit it by landfall."

"Is it serious?" C.J. asked, not fully understanding the meaning of a class-four hurricane.

Josh's eyebrows rose as he looked at the woman, "you ever been in a hurricane?"

"No."

"Me neither, but they look pretty serious." With his response, Alex slightly shook her head at both of their little knowledge of the natural event but chose to disregard it for a later point in time.

As they moved through the communications bullpen Sam walked over to them and told of how it was voted to strike. Disappointment settled through Alex's body at the proposition of having to spend the night in a room with people bickering rather than getting to eat a dinner that was way too nice for her to be able to regularly eat.

They finally made it inside C.J.'s office when they found Toby already waiting for them. "Listen, I want you to start preparing for something. There's a situation in McClane."

"Virginia?" C.J. asked.

But Toby swiftly corrected, "Idaho. There's a property there that local law enforcement has surrounded for four days. A farmhouse, with anywhere from 18-40 survivalists."