Bao - Fisherman (NSFW - Part Two)

Merman (Male) x Human Reader (Male):

Rules: (Y/N: Your Name).

Bao was a very...interesting creature. Since the day we met, he has been calling me 'mate'. I wasn't sure if he meant 'mate', as in friend, or 'mate', as if partner. I sat on the sandy shore of a small tide pool. Bao had shown me this tide pool last week. Ever since then, we had been meeting here, or in the exact same place we first met. But anyway. Bao was weird. Every time I spoke to him with long sentences, he would always tilt his head, like a lost puppy before smiling and nodding his head as if he understood me. It confuses me. Does he only play dumb? Does he really know what I'm saying when I speak to him? Or is that just what he does when listening? All I know is that Bao is starting to pick up on my language. So far, he knows 'thank you', 'goodbye', 'hello, hey, hi' and more greetings. He's learnt, 'I'm sorry', and 'yes' and 'no'. Oh! And of course, 'mate'. But I never taught hm that which I find strange. But he also likes to gift me with things. Most of which I already have, don't like or find annoying. But of course, I could never say these to his face, so I simply give him a nod, and say 'thank you'.

A nudge at my foots causes me to flinch from my thoughts Bao's soft hand had taken a hold of my ankle. He clearly wanted my attention as he stared up at me with those doe-like eyes, having him have a puppy look to him. "What is it?" I asked the merman softly with warm smile." He simply clicked his tongue a few times, imitating a dolphin before lifting his other hand up beside me and dropping down some pearl-like seashells. I let out a gasp and shifted back a bit before the water could get on my clothes. "B-Bao? What's all this?" I asked him. He huffs and simply pushes it nearer. "A gift?" I asked him. Another huff and he sunk back into the water, swimming off from the rocks I sat on.

This merman looks so young. His brown eyes wide with innocence, curiosity, and life. But he wasn't a child. I remember a couple of days ago, I was researching about merfolk and having to tell their age was easier than I thought. Each gill on their rib cage equalled up to five years of age. I turned my eyes down to his side. Four gills. He was younger than me by six years. Not a child, but not adult. I wouldn't consider anyone an adult until they reach the years of twenty-five, as well as gone through some sort of issues of adulthood. Unfortunately for me, I had gone through the issue of becoming an adult early. At sixteen, I had moved from home, had to work two jobs – thinking of maybe three at the time – just to stay in an apartment for a bit. Afterwards, I had moved to where I live now and even now, I'm struggling still with getting food and such. It rains often here so I don't have to worry about buying water. Just the essentials. Electricity and rent, along with any bills and such. It was much easier once you become accustomed to it though. Though, after meeting with Bao often, he usually helps me with food. If I bring my fishing rod down, he usually scares the fish in my direction, so I at least have a chance of catching a fish, or he brings them to me by hand. Once, he had brought me three large fish. That fed me for about a week. Another time, he brought me a tiger shark pup. Thankfully it was still alive, and I got him to release it. I didn't have anything against eating shark, I would just prefer not to eat it, let alone a pup.

Another tug on my ankle, but this time, my eyes focused on the fact that Bao had come up between my legs, staring into my eyes while no further than a few centimetres away. "B-Bao, you surprised me." I chuckled softly. Bao let out a click before opening his mouth, "S-Sss- Ssss-orrr..." He was trying to say 'sorry', seeming to give up just when he almost had it. "It's alright! We have plenty of time for you to learn, there's no need to try and rush." I said with a kind smile before reaching over and ruffling his wet hair, causing shorter strands to stick out in different directions. But Bao didn't seem to take his attempt well. He huffed, clearly in annoyance before slamming his fist onto the rocks I sat on in annoyance. He was more annoyed about the language barrier between us than I was. "Hey! No, no, no! Come on, its not that bad. It was an attempt, which is something to be proud of at least." I had taken his now red fist in my larger hand, rubbing his soon to be bruised knuckles gently. His displeased face quickly softened when I had taken his hand, melting away as if it were never there. Some purring could be heard, and my smile widened. "Good boy. See? Everything is fine!" Sometimes, treating Bao, speaking to him as if he were a child would be best.