Chapter IV - Ice-Cold Consolation

I approached the bench quietly to not draw attention to myself since I had no idea who was sitting there at the moment. However, I knew for sure that it was someone within my circle, given the jet-black hair. I moved out in front, and lo and behold; it was Sinon. 

Me - (What could she be doing out here at this time of night?)

I soon noticed that she looked depressed, which, to be honest, was a bit out of character for her. She's usually cool and collected, so it was quite odd for her to be feeling like this, and it was bumming me out. Sinon soon noticed me.

Sinon - Hm? Will? What are you doing up at this time of night?

Me - I was passing by, ready to do some training, but then stumbled upon you. I couldn't help but notice that you seem a bit depressed. What happened?

I sat on the bench next to Sinon as she began to explain what had been plaguing her so.

Sinon - I had a bad dream... a nightmare from a long time ago.

Me - A long time ago?

Sinon's facial expression fell even more, now looking sadder rather than off-put.

Sinon - Yeah. It's like I'm just not allowed to forget it. The dream keeps reminding me.

Me - More like a memory then?

Something began to click in my mind as I was saying this.

Sinon - Yeah.

I soon started to recall flashes of my past, which I often had nightmares about. My expression fell even more since I realized that I was having a similar problem to what Sinon was having; flashes of the past were often recalled as part of terrible nightmares.

Sinon - Though, I don't feel comfortable talking about it.

I immediately pulled her in for a hug to try to cheer her up a bit. She soon hugged back, seeming to have sensed my newfound depression somewhat.

Me - Oh... Sinon... I understand. I've been having these problems too.

Sinon - Really.

Me - Yeah... You see, my parents died four years ago, and I witnessed their deaths firsthand. I've been haunted by it ever since.

A tear soon formed and fell from my eye, and Sinon noticed this. 

Sinon - Will...

Me - I'm just afraid of losing those who are close to me. I already lost my parents once, and I don't want to lose any of you either. [sniff] I don't.

I soon started to cry a little bit, as this talk of a distant memory only made me even more depressed. Sinon was quite surprised by this, as she had never seen me this sad before. She soon hugged me tighter.

Sinon - Will... I never knew this about you... and I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I want you to know that I'm always there for you. We all are.

My face lightened up when she said this, and I lifted her face so that her eyes met mine.

Me - Thank you, Sinon. That means a lot coming from you. Maybe someday, we can help conquer our pasts together.

Sinon - I'd love that.

Sinon soon yawned, and I could immediately tell that she was a bit tired.

Sinon - You know, this conversation has made me feel better about myself. Thank you for that.

Me - No problem. We should probably head back to bed. It's pretty late.

Sinon - Okay.

We both got up from the bench and began to make out way back to the inn. It was around midnight at this point, so the streets were mostly devoid of people, save for the occasional night owl here and there. All the markets were also closed at this time of night, meaning there weren't too many crowds of people anyway. This made for a tranquil walk back to the inn.