Chapter 3: The Meeting

Kurai's POV

Koharu and I arrive at the Tolbana Amphitheater, and there are some players there for the meeting. Kirito is also present for the meeting. Diavel walks to the stage and introduces himself. 

Diavel: "Hi my name is Diavel. Thank you for joining. We need brave souls like you to fight for freedom. As you know, we are here to make a strategy and-"

Before he continues, some guy interrupts. It's a short yet solidly built man with sienna, spiky (cactus-styled) hair. He also has a small sienna goatee and brown eyes and wears scale mail armor with a rather large one-handed sword on his back.

???: "Hold it! My name is Kibaou. Before this meeting starts, I wanna get something out of my damn chest."

Diavel: "What?"

Kibaou: "Did you know that 2,000 players died in just one friggin' day!?"

Koharu: "What!? Just in one day?"

There are murmurs among the crowd.

Kibaou: "Someone has to say sorry about that. I'm talking to you damned beta testers. Ever since this became a death game, you assholes ditched us."

This starts a commotion. What kind of sick logic does this bastard have? Koharu leans and whispers to me.

Koharu: "We're beta testers along and we have nothing to do with it! I mean, it's not our fault. We tried to save some players."

Kurai: "Sssh, not so loud."

Koharu: "Right..."

A massive and bulky African-American man came in. He is bald and wears two silver earrings on his left ear. He stands in front of Kibaou, defiantly. This guy is bigger than that moron.

???: "Ahem, my name is Agil. And may I get something off my chest too?"

Kibaou: "What's up, big guy?"

Agil: "So you wanna make these beta testers apologize and give up their winnings. Well, lemme get this straight. These beta testers didn't abandon us. They gave us a handbook to survive in this game and everyone has access to it. I'm not here to play the blame game, I'm just here to find how to beat the boss. Diavel, you can continue."

Kibaou starts to sit down and sulks to himself. The situation calmed down for now.

Kibaou: "Fine, I'll follow your lead."

Diavel: "Thank you, so..."

He discusses the strategy. The strategy is split off into separate teams. Team A and B are serving as the phalanx of the Assualt team. The teams are under the command of Agil and a blue-haired player named Lind. Team C and D are in charge of fighting the boss. The teams are under Diavel and my command. Team E and F are in charge of taking care of the minions. Kibaou and Kirito are in charge of it. The rest are serving as support. After the debrief, all of us head off to rest. As I walk off, Diavel stops me for a moment.

Diavel: "So, can I have a word with you?"

Kurai: "Sure, why not?"

We walk to a quiet and empty alleyway. Why did he drag me here? It must be some kind of secret. Could he be a beta tester?

Diavel: "So you and Koharu are beta testers?"

Kurai: "Yeah."

Diavel: "I thought so. Keep it a secret though. I too am a beta tester. Kibaou is right about one thing. Ever since we're trapped here, I should have stayed. However, if I tried to save someone, another life is taken. I couldn't take the burden so I left. But now, my sole goal is to fight to reach the final floor. That way, I can save everyone. I need everyone's strength, so please join me."

Kurai: "It's a deal."

We both shake hands with each other. He starts to change the topic.

Diavel: "Did you know that my name meant 'Devil' in Italian?"

Kurai: "Yeah?"

Diavel: "I thought of being a bad guy in this game and my character would look even scarier than Agil."

Kurai: "And look at how things have changed."

Diavel starts laughing, but he notices my stoic and emotionless face.

Diavel: "Maybe someday, we can meet each other again after this death game."

Kurai: "And I might join in your evil schemes or fight against criminals like you. We could become friends or rivals."

Diavel: "That's what I like to hear. See you tomorrow for the battle."

Kurai: "Of course."

I walk back to the inn and prepare to rest with Koharu.

Koharu: "What's that talk about?"

Kurai: "I'll tell you later."

Koharu: "So it's a boy's thing?"

Kurai: "Focus on the boss."

Koharu: "Right."

Everyone is doing whatever they can to help each other. Right now, I can only protect myself and Koharu.