Chapter 4: Beater

Kurai's POV:

Today is the day for the boss fight. Diavel reminds us of the strategy. We fight through the dungeon and are at the boss gate. Diavel advises us to prepare.

Diavel: "Check your gear and make sure your health is full. Stick to the plan and we will make it."

Everyone: "Sir yes sir!"

Koharu seems nervous and distracted. I snap my fingers to wake her up.

Kurai: "Still with us?"

Koharu: "Huh!? Yeah?"

Kurai: "You nervous."

Koharu: "How about you?"

Kurai: "Nope."

Koharu: "Nothing seems to scare you, huh."

She looks down for a moment and looks at me.

Koharu: "I've never seen what the boss looked like. To be honest, I'm scared. But there's no turning back. I promised Sachi that I would survive."

Kurai: "So let's keep that promise. You won't die under my watch. No one will."

Koharu: "Got it."

Diavel rallies everyone once we are ready.

Diavel: "This is it! Hold nothing back!"

Everyone: "Yeah!"

Diavel: "Remember, after the boss loses half of its health, it will switch to a talwar."

Diavel opens the door. It is two meters tall, muscular, covered in red fur, and had bloodthirsty, copper-red eyes. Illfang used a large bone ax and a leather shield to attack. Behind its waist, it carried an unknown weapon. It roared at us, trying to scare us, but we know what we are facing. It is called Illfang the Kobold Lord.

Things go out according to plan and the tide is on our side. I show off my fast speed and out-maneuver the boss and Koharu looks at me with awe.

Kurai: "Stop staring and keep fighting."

Koharu: "R- right, sorry!"

The first phase is easy and the boss already lost more than half of his health. Diavel charges in for the final attack. Illfang throws out his ax and pulls out a sword. But this sword is different. Kirito notices that as well.

Kirito: "What the hell!?"

Kurai: "It's not a talwar like the beta! It's a katana. Shit, Diavel!"

Koharu: "What does that mean?"

Kirito: "It means it has a different move set! It has more range and damage. Diavel, come back!"

But it's too late, Illfang slams his sword and it paralyzes Diavel.

Diavel: "Gah!"

Agil: "Someone, save him!"

Both Kirito and I run towards Diavel to save him. However, Kirito is slower.

Kirito: "Damn it, I won't make it!"

Kurai: "But I can!"

I block the next attack before Illfang could finish off Diavel. The beast presses its sword towards mine, but I try my best to resist. I hear Koharu call out my name in fear.

Koharu: "Kurai!"

She and a cloaked girl run to my aid and distract Illfang as Kirito and I carry Diavel out of the way. Kirito lets Diavel rest on the ground. Luckily, his health did not reach zero.