1.01²

Wolf Moon²

   Scott raised his fist up, knocking hard on Stiles' bedroom door. The boy had called Laila and Scott over after school on Friday, explaining he had something to show them. Laila's mom had let her go, even though she was supposed to be on lockdown. She was hardly complaining, this got her out of homework.

"Get in," Stiles instructed as soon as he opened the door. The two stepped in, dropping their bags down at the end of the boys bed. Laila plopped herself down on the mattress, watching as Stiles shut his bedroom door.

"You got to see this. I've been up all night reading websites, books, all those things..."

"Chill out a bit, Stiles," Laila commented. "You're like bouncing off the walls."

Scott nodded in agreement. "How much Adderall have you had today?"

Stiles turned in his chair, shrugging. "A lot. Doesn't matter. Okay, just listen." Scott placed himself on the bed beside Laila.

"Is this about the body? Did they find out who did it?"

"It was Derek Hale, wasn't it?" Laila quickly butted in, folding her legs underneath her. "I knew it!"

"No," Stiles huffed. "They're still questioning people... even Derek Hale."

"Bet you twenty bucks it was him," Laila stated, looking between the two, waiting for one of them to take the offer.

"Focus!" Stiles exclaimed in frustration, getting impatient.

Laila huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Rude."

"What is it then, Stiles?" Scott asked.

"Remember the joke from the other day?" Stiles questioned, letting out a short, humourless laugh. "Not a joke anymore." Laila and Scott shared a look of confusion, not remembering said joke. "The wolf! The bite in the woods! I started doing all this reading, do you even know why a wolf howls?"

"Should I?"

"Are we supposed to?" Laila asked. "I didn't know I was going to be taking a pop quiz on wolves."

"It's a signal, okay? When a wolves alone, it howls to signal its location to the rest of the pack, so if you heard a wolf howling that means others could've been nearby, and maybe even a whole pack of them."

"A pack of wolves?"

"No," Stiles answered. "Werewolves."

Laila let out a laugh, shaking her head. "Werewolves don't exist, Stiles."

"And didn't you say there hadn't been any wolves in California for what? Sixty years?"

"That anybody knows of! What if they're just hiding out or something? I didn't all this reading right, and i-"

"Yeah, you told us." Laila commented, rubbing her forehead.

"Are you seriously wasting my time with this?" Scott asked, rising to his feet and grabbing his bag with a huff. "You know I'm picking Allison up in an hour."