10

A cold wind suddenly blew. I pulled my jacket tighter as I felt colder. It's passed 5 in the morning and I'm already here, outside our house waiting for Nick.

He told me yesterday to wait outside because he'll fetch me before 5 but he's not here yet. I don't mind waiting though as long as I can go out. I just want to go somewhere that can shift my mood, even for just a short time.

I didn't have the chance to tell Dad about this because it was already midnight when Nick texted me. He didn't expect me to pushed through his plan because it really was in a short notice.

I just texted Dad to let him know. I'm sure he won't be against this.

I covered my eyes with my hand when a bright light pierces my eyes. I saw a car stopped in front of me. The window rolled down and I saw Nick's face. I was able to figure him out because of the light illuminated from the streetlights.

"Hi, Good morning!" He said. "Sorry I'm kinda late." He said.

"It's fine." I said. I went to the other side of the car and went inside the passenger seat.

"Coffee?" He said and gave me an iced americano.

"Thanks," I said and sip from the coffee. As soon as I tasted the caffeine in my mouth I immediately felt an energy deep within me.

He started the engine and drove away. I know we're going to a beach or a resort, anything that can be associated with water since he told me to bring a swimwear, I just don't know specifically where.

"I bought breakfast. You can eat if you're feeling hungry." He said.

I nodded at him. "Can I turn the radio on?"

"Sure."

I turned the radio on and we're greeted by the energetic voice of the radio DJ. She was so loud but I liked it. It's something I need in a morning drive.

I leaned my head on the window. I was feeling so down and I really want to take this away from my system, even just for this day. I don't want to let Nick feel this heaviness, he should be enjoying this day, not share with my sadness.

"Sham?" He said.

"Hmm," I said, not looking at him.

He wasn't talking after a few minutes so I glanced at him.

"Nevermind." He said.

I shrugged. A soft song was playing on the radio. I suddenly felt tired. I didn't get enough sleep last night and this serene ambience makes me want to close my eyes. And I did. I fell asleep.

I just woke up when I felt a warm heat on my face. I opened my eyes and saw that it's already bright outside. I can clearly see the busy morning of the city.

"Hey," he said. "You should eat."

I nodded at him. "You should eat too."

"Tapos na ako." He said and glanced at me. "Medyo malayo pa tayo."

I looked at my watch and saw that it was already passed seven. We've been on the road for two hours already.

I grabbed the food from the backseat. It was a pancake. "Sa'n ba tayo?" Sabi ko bago sumubo.

"La Union."

I nodded. It was far but it's better. I want to spend more time driving than at home.

We spend the next few hours of him driving and me just staring at the passing scenery. It was a very quiet and solemn drive. I bet he already figured out there's something bothering me but he just kept mum about it. I appreciate that. I actually want to let out all my frustrations but I think now isn't the right time yet. I want to cry my eyes out to someone but I don't know who the right person is. I don't want to burden them into emphasizing with me. I don't want to be a burden, in any way.