Chapter Nine: The Academy

"Welcome to the Academy, Billie." Mrs. Waverunner said.

I looked up for the first time since we'd left the UEA. In front of me was a large, pearly white gate. I raised an eyebrow. I wasn't sure if that was a good omen or a bad one. Beyond the gate was the Academy, gleaming on a hill just like Ms. Leto said. It was a crystal palace decorated with blue and gold. A marble road lead to the extensive white staircase and gigantic golden doors. Around it were beautiful gardens, fountains, stables, a swimming pool, and what looked like a tennis court.

I'd been dreaming about this moment my entire life, and now that it was here, I couldn't enjoy it. I understood now why my mother had dreaded coming back so much, and why she'd been so on edge here. She was afraid someone would see her with me, and everyone would realize she was the mother of a Misfit.

Except, that still didn't feel right. My mother had always acted like she hated the Realm, like she was morally superior. I never would've thought she'd care what they thought.

But there was a lot I didn't know about my mother's life before and after my birth. Maybe she'd changed when she'd seen the humble life of the Rustlands. But if that was true, why hadn't she been honest with me? And if it wasn't true, why didn't she tell me the real reason? Why had she been so determined to keep me away from the Realm?

These were questions only she could answer. But she was gone, and who knew when I would see her again.

"Good, they're waiting for us," Ms. Waverunner said as we stopped in front of the stone steps. A blond-haired boy and girl descended toward us. They were both dressed in flowing red shirts and pants, made out of material that looked more expensive than my entire house. The boy caught me staring and winked.

"You must be Guinevere ... Lysandra ... is it?" Mrs. Waverunner said to the girl as we reached them.

From what I'd heard, Wizards took the first name of their parent as their last name, so she was probably a wizard.

Guinevere smiled, her high pony-tail bouncing as blue eyes glanced down at me over her long nose. She was really working that school-girl thing. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ms. Waverunner."

"Billie, this is Gwen, President of the Student Advisory Council. She's one of Alpha's finest students, if Malak's not exaggerating. Speaking of which, is he here? I need to speak with him. Ah, there he is."

"Freya." I jumped as a man with olive skin and a red turban walked toward Ms. Waverunner. How did I miss him? Did he just appear or something?

The man kissed Ms. Waverunner's cheek and she giggled, and then the two of them walked off. Far enough away I couldn't hear what they were saying, unfortunately.

"That's Malak Koya," Gwen said. "He was one of the Realm's most renowned Magi. If you grew up here, you'd know his name."

She didn't mean that as an insult, but I flinched anyway.

"He's also President of Alpha Academy," the boy said. He was nice looking, with tan skin and warm brown eyes. "And I'm Arthur David, Gwen's Vice President." Also, a Wizard, I noted.

I glanced back at Ms. Waverunner and President Koya. They spoke in hushed tones and glanced over at me every now and then. President Koya was no longer smiling, and his eyes looked darker.

The first thing I was going to learn with magic was how to eavesdrop without being detected.

"Well," Ms. Waverunner stepped away from President Koya. "I'd love to stay, but there are many things to attend to at Headquarters, as you know." She let President Koya kiss her cheek again, and then turned to me. "It was wonderful to meet you, dear. I know we can expect great things from you."