Chapter 19: Hidden

The morning sun rose from behind the tree line, burning the cool air and would have left behind stifling humidity if not for a constant wind coming off the water. Some seabirds scoured the beach for breakfast while others perched themselves on anything nearby, including Appa's horns.

Zuko woke early to the scars on his wrists itching madly. He'd dreamt he was high above the world and looking down at the insignificant battles that raged, ignorant of his presence. Small fires dotted the forests below, just as errant embers burn holes in fabric.

But then something pulled at his wrists, pulling him down toward the ground, toward the cries and screams of soldiers and innocents alike: The red and blue the dragons. Each one had a wrist in its mouth—the blue dragon had his left wrist, and the red dragon, his right. Gold blood dripped down his arms as their teeth dug in.

The blue one stared at him as they dove. Its piercing eyes were sickly yellow and bloodshot, yet human in some indescribable way. Words echoed in his mind: You're not a prince. You're a traitor. And you'll die as one. The red one kept its eyes on the fast-approaching ground. And before they came crashing to the ground, he'd woken up.

Zuko stood, rubbing his eyes and trying to shake the image and words from his mind. It was only a dream. He needed to focus on more important things like getting his bending back. Only then would he be able to train Aang.

A shuffling noise to his right told him Momo had woken up and was already expecting breakfast. He glanced over and saw the white lemur perched on an ocean-worn branch next to him, staring at him with his large green eyes. "Okay, okay. In a minute. I need to start a fire."

"No, you don't," said a voice. He turned. Sokka emerged from his tent fully dressed with his boomerang and bag full of supplies. What's he doing up so early?

Sokka answered his raised eyebrow, elaborating, "Since we're trying to go out farther today, we'll need more time if we want to get back before dark." He patted his bag. "Don't worry, I'm bringing breakfast with us too—I'm not a monster." Sokka sat down, grabbing the leftover smoked fish by the smoldering campfire and placing it into his bag. "Say, can you wake up Aang? I need to get some water pouches and then we should be good to go."

Zuko nodded and stood to leave.

"Sokka?" came a half-asleep Katara emerging from her tent. She blinked in the light, more awake now and frowned at Zuko. "What are you doing?"

Zuko looked over and saw Sokka adjusting the fastenings on his bag intently. The Water Tribe boy replied, "We're leaving early."

She huffed, "I can see that. Why are you taking him?" Her tone was more than enough evidence that she was still hurt from last night.

"We're going out further today," Sokka said without answering her question. "Further offshore and past the waterway opening too. This way we cover everything. If we don't see any signs...well...we'll meet them at the landing point on the other side in the Fire Nation." He looked up and met Zuko's eyes before turning to his sister. He continued quietly, less sure, "Even if Dad isn't there, others will be. They'll know where he is."

Katara's face softened. "You're right. That's a good idea. Sorry, I'm just..." she looked over at Zuko, her eyes still icy cold. Yeah, still mad. "...distracted."

"Uh huh," Sokka said, dubious, but already turning back to his pack.

"What?"

"Nothing! Probably has nothing to do with Zuko either, right?" He glanced up from fidgeting with his bag's straps for the hundredth time and gave her a smirk.