S1 E2 - Hell {Part 3}

When the next day came, Sae-byeok went to visit her brother at the orphanage whilst Ji-ah went to the police station. Once she got to the front desk, she announced.

"Hi, I'd like to report two missing people."

One of the men laughed and asked.

"You're not one of those are you?"

Ji-ah straightened up and asked sternly.

"Excuse me?!"

The man who laughed, sat up and cleared his throat.

"Sorry, ma'am. It's just we've had reports of people going missing and playing games to win money or something."

Ji-ah narrowed her eyes and thought.

He knows?

She then shook her head and uttered.

"Well, this is serious. I cannot find my brother or father and it's been 2 days since I last reported them missing as well and the officers said they'd look into it. But it looks like they haven't."

The man looked through some paper and spoke.

"Ah, yes. Well, as you may know, if the missing is not found in the first 24 hours, the chances of them being found is slim to none. When was the last time you saw them?"

Ji-ah sighed in irritance as she knew her answer would be useless to them.

"3 years ago. I recently came back from England after looking after my mother and I came home expecting to see my brother and father, but no one was home and the electricity had been shut off and the food had expired. It's not like them to suddenly go missing, I've been to their work place and their colleagues didn't notice that they were gone either."

The man glanced with another man and they discussed a little bit before explaining.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. But because you last saw them 3 years ago, we can't put them down as missing. What are their names? We can type them into the database and see if they've had any past offences."

Ji-ah sighs frustratingly again and tells them her brother and fathers name, they look the names up and announce.

"Okay, so none of them have had any past offences so they're not in jail. I'm sorry, ma'am, I don't know what else to do. Maybe wait for them to come back? Maybe they're on holiday?"

Ji-ah exclaimed.

"We're too much in debt to be going on holiday! Jesus, this is bullshit!"

Ji-ah angrily walked over to the front door and pushed it open, she left the station and leant against the wall to get her anger issues calmed down a little. But then she felt a tap on her shoulder and a familiar voice.

"Miss?"

Ji-ah turned her head to see the guy her and Sae-byeok had left on the street last night. Before she could speak, he asked.

"I saw you coming out of the police station, did you tell them about the game as well?"

Ji-ah shook her head and answered.

"No, I was filing a report for my missing father and brother, but because the last time I saw them was 3 years ago, they can't be classed as missing."

The man frowned and stated.

"Oh, well I'm sorry to hear that."

Ji-ah hummed and crossed her arms. The man then held out his hand and introduced himself.

"I'm Seong Gi-hun, the man you and that pickpocket girl left on the street to untie himself last night."

Ji-ah rolled her eyes, but shook his hand and added.

"And I'm Lee Ji-ah. I'm not sorry that we left you, you attacked my best friend and accused her of pickpocketing, and then tried to do it again last night."

Ji-ah then thought to herself.

Well, she did do it. But that's beside the point.

Gi-hun smiled thinly and was about to speak when Ji-ah saw Sae-byeok in her peripheral vision and started to jog towards her, leaving the man behind again.

"Sae-byeok!"

The girl turned at the sound of her name being called and saw Ji-ah now skipping towards her. Ji-ah asked when she reached her.

"How was visiting your brother? How's he doing?"

Sae-byeok shrugged and answered.

"It was okay, and he's fine. But he's wondering when I'm going to get him out of there. I've also been thinking of going back to the game, I need the money to be able to get my mother from North Korea and save my brother from the orphanage. He feels quite lonely."

Ji-ah hummed and then Sae-byeok asked.

"How did reporting your missing father and brother go?"

Ji-ah answered as she sighed.

"It went tits up! Because the last time I had seen them was 3 years ago, they can't be marked as missing because they're probably not even missing. Apparently they may be "on holiday", but we're too in debt to go on holiday. I said that to them and they just looked at me with a look that said "I don't know then". It's ridiculous."

Sae-byeok let out a "yikes", and changed the subject as she could tell that Ji-ah was getting upset.

"Let's get you a pocket knife, you'll need it to defend yourself when we go back in. I have a feeling something bad is going to happen when we do go back, though."

Ji-ah nodded and the two went to a shop that sold pocket knifes, Ji-ah just picked a simple black one and tried it out. She flicked her wrist and grinned when the blade came out, she then flicked her wrist again so that the blade would go back. She bought the knife and they left the shop, only to see the card stuck to their doors.

The two girls looked at each other before flipping the card around and reading the writing on the back.

Day: June 23rd
Time: Midnight
Place: Same as previous

They then looked at each other again and nodded in acknowledgement.

The two waited until midnight and stood on the end of their street, waiting for the van. And when it came, the girls glanced at each other as the door slid open.

Ji-ah went in first and then Sae-byeok sat next to her, the smoke was sprayed into the van again. Ji-ah's upper body slumped to the side and she quickly covered her mouth with her coat. She closed her eyes and felt Sae-byeok's head lean on her leg, she too covered her mouth as they had discussed this before the van had arrived.

Once the van was moving, they both opened their eyes and uncovered their mouth, smirking as it had worked.