Chapter 2 - Well, I'm Royally Fucked

"WHAT!" Gwyn shouted after hearing that. How can I be- It's not possible. I'm- I'm a river nymph- not a fucking high lady. And then how? Was she Tamlin's mat- LET'S NOT GO THERE-

Gwyn's frantic thoughts were interrupted by Rhysand clearing his throat, "Gwyn, you need to calm down." He said, but it was as if he was trying to tell that to himself more than her.

Gwyn closed her eyes took a deep breath. I am the rock against which the surf crashes, nothing can break me. She then opened her eyes and exhaled slowly. "So, I- how?" Gwyn was more confused than nervous now.

She could see Rhysand trying to connect the dots and then it hit him. "Gwyn I need you to show me your childhood memories. One with your mother." Gwyn opened her mouth to question but Rhysand just said, "It may help us in the end."

Gwyn thought about it for a second and then nodded. She could feel Rhys' claws against her mind, and she let those claws in. She searched for a memory. Found it.

It was a memory of Her mother and her twin sitting under a tree, while Gwyn plucked flowers for them. "Mommy, which flower do you like best. The rose, or the white lily?" Gwyn asked, holding up to flowers in her hands.

Catrin snorted at that and got up from her mother's lap. "Neither gwyn, flowers are the worst. " Gwyn looked up to her sister and asked, "Why?", "Because they die Gwynnie. They create the illusion of being beautiful at first, but in the end, they show their true selves, just like people-"

"Oh come on Catrin, don't be such a downer-", "I'm not a downer I'm just telling the truth. And anyways, if you want to like a flower, you should like a practical one, like chrysanthemums." And then came the voice of her mother. "Oh shush, no need to fight about flowers. And as you asked Gwyn, my favourite flower whatever you like the most. Now you can pick whichever one you like."

Gwyn grinned at her sister and peeked behind her to look at her mother. Catrin just skulked and rolled her eyes. "Now Catrin, I hope that you will help your sister pick her flowers?" and then Gwyn saw her mother wink at her, Gwyn just grinned and looked back to her sister.

And then she asked cheekily while extending her hand, "Catty, will you help me pick flowers." Catrin took her hand and huffed, "Do I even have a choice?"

Gwyn shook her head at which she heard her mother chuckle. Gwyn and Catrin then picked flowers from all across the ground, only to come back, and not find their mother.

Gwyn snapped out of her memory when she saw Rhysand's claws disappear from her mind. That was the last and only memory she had of her mother. She was young, and didn't remember anything else.

Rhysand looked like he was dead. He had gone all pale. Gwyn knew what was about to happen. She started backing away slowly, "No. No. NO. Rhys, control yourself-" And before she could run for her life, Rhys puked on her shoes.

"DAMN YOU RHYS" Gwyn said and suddenly a fire ball released from her hand at which Rhys ducked.

What the hell just happened?

Now Rhys had regained his calm self. He cleaned his mouth with the back of his sleeve. "Sorry" He muttered and snapped his fingers, at which Gwyn's shoes were replaced.

He then looked at Gwyn's bewildered expression. She then started repeatedly pointing towards the huge burnt wall behind Rhys, at which Rhys just shrugged. If Gwyn's eyes had widened even a little bit more, they would come out of there sockets.

"WILL YOU FUCKING EXPLAIN THAT??" Gwyn almost shouted when Rhysand just stood there. "Oh, that? Yeah that's normal. Also, did I tell you that your mother is Beron's mother? If not, well now you know." and then he went and sat back normally in his seat. Like nothing had happened.

Gwyn just looked at him for a second, still not understanding what the hell just happened. And when he didn't do or say anything, she just scoffed comically and sat down in the chair in front of him.

"Now rhys, are you planning to tell something or am I set to go out to my court and rule there?" Gwyn said mockingly and Rhys' eyes darkened, "Gwyn-" And Gwyn stopped him with a look.

"Alright. Your mother's the real high lady of the Autumn court. She should have still been ruling, she was a kind lady. But her husband was cruel and he hated her. He knew the people liked her more than they did him. She was 1/8th nymph as well, and so he exiled her from his court. "

"At this the people of the Autumn Court revolted and made Beron, their high lord. Little did they know, he was the spitting image of his father, if not crueler. He killed his father to make sure he would never take over the court. "

"Meanwhile your mother, took refuge in the spring court when Am-Amarantha attacked. She met Tamlin there just 25 years before Tamlin met Feyre. They only had a difference of 500 years, just like you and Azriel. They fell in love and had you and Catrin.

"The people of the Spring Court accepted them. They lived happiy until-" Rhys took a deep breath and continued.

"Until Beron found out that his mother was still alive. Your mother had to run with you and your sister, and take refuge at Sangravah. She had always known that Beron was a cruel person. But, Beron had found her and killed her."

Oh. Oh. Gods that was a lot of information to process in one minute.

Gwyn then cleared her throat and asked, "You got all that from one memory?" at which Rhysand just smiled. There was complete silence. And then Gwyn said, "When am I leaving for the Spring Court then?"

Rhys' smiled then disappeared as he said, "Gwyn it's too dangerous. If Beron even gets a hint that you're the high lady of the Spring Court, he's gonna come for you." "But I need to train and my powers-", "What about your powers, we already know that you can create fire with your Autumn court heritage. And about your shapeshifting powers-"

Gwyn then cut him off by speaking in a hushed voice, "I've read about the earlier ladies of the Spring Court. They don't shapeshift."

Rhys then suddenly looked intrigued. "Then what to do they do?" Gwyn cleared her throat and said, "They can control the elements of nature. Earth, Air, Water and-" Gwyn couldn't complete the sentence.

"And Fire" Rhysand said, while rubbing his fingers on his chin. "It does make sense. The ladies of the Spring Court are much more powerful than the men. Now I know why there's not been a lady of the spring court in more than a millennial."

Gwyn gulped loudly and asked, "There's not been a lady of the spring court in more than a millennial?" And Rhysand shook his head.

Rhysand then continued, with a sad look in his eyes, "They were killed at birth, because the men didn't want them to overpower them. That's why the men never mate with a true women of the Spring court, the high fae. And they don't let a girl child be born either."

Gwyn then just thought for a second. The only thought that came to her was, Well, I'm royally fucked.

"Now you know why I don't want you to rule the court, it's too dangerous-", "It's dangerous, I know. But the people need someone to rely on. I won't announce my title immediately, but we need to act soon. "

"If Beron finds out that Tamlin's dead, then he'll definitely try to take over the spring court and torture its people. For now, I'll go there. I'll pass the Autumn and the Summer Court while going. Eris and Tarquin can help me control fire and water. Earth and air, I'll have to manage on my own-"

And it wasn't Rhysand's voice that said the word, that interrupted her. It wasn't. It was her mate's deadly voice, the infamous shadowsinger's voice.

"NO"