Birthday Blues | 13

A Week Later... 

Things with Jace have been relatively the same. If anything, I just felt even closer to him now. We were still often having those moments where we would just stare at each other. By now, the feeling I'd get from that was VERY intense. 

I couldn't help but wonder why Jace seemed just as dazed as me whenever that happened though.. was he maybe feeling the same thing as me? That just didn't make sense.. I would never expect that from a womanizer like him. 

Speaking of Jace, today was his and June's 17th birthday! I was extremely excited for him but whenever his birthday was brought up, he would act weirdly quiet about it.. like he wasn't excited or happy about it at all. 

I was just hoping that he wouldn't be like that today, on the actual day. I wanted him to be happy on his birthday. 

Feeling excited for him, I got out of bed with a smile on my face and I went over to my closet to get dressed. I put on a yellow cropped t-shirt alone with some black ripped jeans. I put my hair half up half down, brushed my teeth, then went to school with Andy. 

History... 

I was finally going to get to see Jace today and I was excited. 

After saying goodbye to Kyle, I walked to my history class. I walked into the room and took my regular seat like usual. I just went on my phone, glancing up at each person as they walked into the room as I waited for Jace. 

Shortly after, I finally saw him walk into the room. A smile immediately formed on my face. 

He walked over to our table and greeted me a little bit quietly as he sat beside me. Without even greeting him back, I right away got into it.  

"Happy birthday!" I was quick to say loudly and happily as I hugged him tightly. A grin spread across my face. "Thanks Angel.." I heard Jace say back pretty quietly as he hugged me back a lot more loosely. 

I could right away tell that he was still being quiet like that and it was disappointing.. What was wrong? I didn't want to just ask him directly though and call him out on it. 

I pulled back from the hug shortly after, my body still turned to him in my seat. 

"So, any plans for the day?" I asked him with a smile, trying to lighten his mood. "Not that I know of.." Jace said back with a small shrug. Well that didn't work.. "Did you get anything for June?" I asked him, trying to keep the smile on my face. "She's really into tennis and she's been looking at this new racquet for a while so I got that for her." He told me. "Aw, that's sweet." I said, my smile growing. But still, a smile barely formed on his face. 

"What about you? Excited for presents?" I asked him with a small chuckle, really trying to bring out a good mood from him. "I'm not really into presents anymore but my mom and June usually still always have something for me.." Jace said, again speaking pretty quietly as he looked down a little. 

I decided to just stop trying at this point. Jace clearly wasn't in the mood and I didn't want to annoy him, especially today. 

Lunch... 

When the lunch bell rang, Jace didn't walk downstairs with me. Apparently he didn't really feel up for hanging out with our group today. But even on days when Jace didn't hang out with us at lunch, he would still always walk me downstairs.

What was going on with him? I was really getting worried..

I headed downstairs and after going to my locker, I went to the cafeteria. I right away noticed Vic, Kyle, Allie and Liv (Olivia) sitting at a table. So I walked over to them.