Chapter Six

“Okay, so our final options are lilac ribbons and mason jars, or we can go with citrus ribbons and mini-bouquets on every table,” I explained

“Okay, so our final options are lilac ribbons and mason jars, or we can go with citrus ribbons and mini-bouquets on every table,” I explained. “Which one do you like better?”

“What? Am I just supposed to imagine it?” Clarissa frowned. “Couldn’t you whip up a 3D model or something for me to look at?”

“You don’t need a 3D model, Clarissa. This is about ribbons and the wall color. You just need to use your imagination for now because of the last-minute change with Naomi doing the flowers.” I pointed toward the blank wall on the far side of the venue’s space. “When you think about your perfect wedding, what’s hanging down that wall? Lilac ribbons? Citrus ribbons--”

“I don’t know! I don’t know if I can choose!” Clarissa shook her head. “Not without seeing it first.”

I resisted the urge to bang my head against the wall. Clarissa was going to drive me insane.

We’d been at the banquet hall for the last five hours, going over the final touches for the wedding, making sure everything had been cleared with the staff and that there were enough tables and chairs on hand for both the wedding and reception.

We were now at the final stage of the process, which involved getting Clarissa’s okay to move forward with everything as planned. Without her stamp of approval, none of the wheels in the wedding machine would be able to start turning, which meant that it was vital that she make up her mind before she broke mine right in two.

“Clarissa, you have to make a choice today,” I said. “If you don’t nail down a color scheme for the walls, then how will I be able to tell Naomi which flowers we need for the ceremony? And how will Briar know what color napkins to pick out? Everything comes down to the walls. Everything.”

“I know everything comes down to the walls! You think I don’t know that everything comes down to the walls?” Clarissa shouted before she sucked in a deep breath. “Sorry. I’m sorry. It’s just that I didn’t realize that we’d be doing this today and I just… I just need a second opinion.”

“I can call Laurel?” I suggested. “He’s pretty good with visualizing things like this, working with empty spaces.”

“No. It’s okay. I already called for backup…” Clarissa’s words trailed off before she beamed at someone across the room. “And there he is right now! Sky! Come over here! We need you!”

I turned to see Sky standing in the doorway of the banquet hall. He was wearing a green polo shirt with beige slacks, looking as if he’d just stepped off a pricey golf course. I offered him a small wave, and he quickly waved back.

He made his way toward us, coming to stand between Clarissa and me. “Sorry I’m late, Clarissa. My dad finally came into town, and he wanted to spend some time with me.”

“That’s totally fine! Tell Marshall that I say hi,” Clarissa said with a smile. “Anyway, I called you down here so you could help Raven and me figure something out.”