Chapter Twenty-four

My father had called me in for a meeting

Of course, he hadn’t told me what the meeting was about or why he needed me to come down to his temporary office. I was honestly surprised that he was still in town from the wedding that he didn’t even attend, assuming that he would’ve flown back to his main building in the city by now.

As I made my way down the long hallway, my mind filled with the possibilities for today’s meeting.

Maybe he wanted to talk about bringing me on at Easton’s Exchange. Or worse, he wanted to tell me that the business was floundering, and he needed me to marry Irene to shore things up for the future. Unfortunately for my father, I wasn’t interested in committing myself to a life of unhappiness, solely for the benefit of the bottom line.

Besides, I couldn’t do that to Raven.

I couldn’t do that to myself.

“Hi!” A secretary with a classic bob greeted me as I stepped into the lobby. “Can I get your name, please?”

“Sky Easton,” I continued. “I have a meeting with my father. At two?”

“Sky Easton!” she gasped. “What an honor it is to meet you, sir! I’ve heard all about you, but I never thought--” She stopped herself mid-sentence. “Sorry. I just get so flustered around celebrities.”

“I wouldn’t say that I’m a celebrity.” I offered her a warm smile.

“Well, no celebrity can say that they are, can they?” She laughed. “Trying to label yourself as famous makes you sound arrogant. But you should know that in the finance sector, you are very, very well-known. And rumor has it that your days of being an eligible bachelor are almost through…” She leaned against her desk, looking up at me from behind her pink-framed glasses. “Is that true?”

“Yes.” I smiled again as I thought about how beautiful Raven looked when he first woke up in the morning.

“I knew it!” The secretary excitedly clapped. “I always knew that the Eastons and the Marseilles were going to end up as one, big happy family.”

Eastons and the Marseilles?

Oh. Right.

It’d slipped my mind that my father was still trying to get me to agree to an arranged marriage, my thoughts so momentarily consumed by Raven.

“Sky! There you are!” My father’s voice boomed throughout the lobby as he called over to me. “Come on in, son. We’re just about ready to get started.”

“Wish me luck,” I whispered to the secretary. I took in a deep breath and began to walk toward my father’s office door.

* * *

“You need to give up on Raven.” It was all my father said as he sat behind his desk.

“What?” I shook my head in confusion. “Dad, I thought we already went over this--”