42

When we got to Seonghwa's house, it looked just as beautiful as I remembered. Yet somehow, it was even better since it had a beautiful garden growing in the back.

"This is even prettier than the one in the park!" I yelled as I ran to the field.

"Well, it should be. It probably cost way more to grow," he said as he followed behind. Once I finally made my way to the center of everything, I started peeking my head around every corner to admire each flower. One section caught my eye in particular though.

"Why do you have so many purple lilacs?" I questioned as I carefully brushed my fingers against the petals.

"Ah, San told me they were your favorite so I grew a lot of them for him since he used to bring them to your house everyday."

"Hmm and what was the catch? Did you make him pay double for them or something?" I asked, eying him down.

"No, I let him take them for free."

"You really think I'm going to believe you did something nice without expecting something in return?" I giggled.

"Sun-hee, I don't think you understand how devastated San was when you left. The poor guy wouldn't even leave his house unless he was going to your place."

My heart sank when I realized how serious Seonghwa's expression was.

"Honestly, if I tripled the price for the flowers I know he would've still paid. That's how much he loved you. I guess that's why I gave them to him for free. Because if I didn't, he would've sold his house just to make sure you got your stupid bouquet."

"You shouldn't have given him the flowers then. You should've helped him in some other way!" I screamed out of frustration. Hearing Seonghwa's words made the guilt in me build past the point where I could no longer handle it.

"I couldn't, Sun-hee! No one could. All he wanted was to see you again. He didn't care what happened to him."

I stared at the ground, speechless. I didn't know San suffered so much without me. But I guess I felt better knowing that we suffered together.

"I guess now would be a good time to apologize though," he said, suddenly.

"For what?"

"For trying to hold you back when we were in high school. Thinking about it now it must've been the reason why you left since you were scared of staying in the same place. So, I'm sorry."

"Well, you weren't the only person who said some mean things to me before I left. But, it didn't really matter in the end since I was always planing on leaving. I just didn't know I'd do it so abruptly. That's the only part I really regret."

"Is that why you came back? So that you could say goodbye properly?"

"No, I want to stay this time. Maybe that way I can feel like I'm redoing the past five years."

"Don't you think too much has changed?"

"Have they?"

"Obviously they have."

"Then, let's just undo everything." I smiled as he smiled back.

"I know I already said this, but I really did miss you," he said as he grabbed my hand and brushed his thumb across it. I quickly withdrew it though out of shock. In response, he cleared his throat, clearly embarrassed by the interaction.

"Should we go inside?" he asked, trying to move on from the awkwardness. I nodded my head as I followed him in. Once we entered, we decided to head straight to his room.